NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I use my freshwater spin and bait caster in saltwater with no ill effect. I am wondering if my freshwater fly gear will hold up to salt? Are you guys using strictly saltwater gear when fishing the rivers and creeks for trout flounder and drum?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think it's important to rinse the gear off at the end of each day....rods and reels. That seems to be fine for folks that are fishing in salt water a few times each year. The only person I know of that had issues admitted that he had submerged the reel and did not rinse it at all. The next time he picked it up it was totally "frozen."

Check the coatings on the wrappings around the feet of your guides and make sure they are sealed to prevent water from getting around the feet. Take the spool off the reel and rinse the spool and frame under fresh water. Wipe dry etc. Most of the higher quality "freshwater" fly reels that are milled and anodized seemed to do just fine in saltwater environments, as well as less expensive reels. Just rinse thoroughly immediately after each use.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My Abu garcia cardinal s lasted 1 week in saltwater till it sounded like a blender. Of course I didn't clean it everyday but I believe even if I did it would still corrode.
I respectfully disagree. If you rinse thoroughly after each use (when I am at the beach, that might be 3 times a day that I fish a few hours) even the really cheap stuff will hold up fine IME. OTOH, the first surf outfit I bought specifically for the beach only lasted a season because I wasn't as worried and would just give it a quick rinse coming up the boardwalk.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I fish the salt a lot I wash my gear very well I ha some fresh water reels that have done good some bad . I say don't take it to the salt if you're not prepared to replace it .try to splurge on salt rated gear then you're ready for anything.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Every place you see an opening to a reel like the line release mechanism, level wind systems...anywhere there is a penetration into the reel will get at minimum salt laden moisture from the air. Levelwind systems are not sealed. Water comes off the line on to the levelwind gear, rides the gear to the bushing or bearing , and winds up penetrating into the reel.

I am reel meticulous, pun intended, with reel maintenance. I might use reels for a solid week at the beach but they'll get torn completely down after that trip...before the dog or youngin gets fed.
If I went this weekend, they'll be torn down within a day or 2 of getting back home if not right then.
I have ABU 6500 C3's still in great shape with 12 or so years of nothing but surf fishing use on them.....because they get torn down, and the only thing I have replaced is drag washers and ceramic bearings. These aren't stock reels by far.

Even then, on the inside of the reel you can tell they are used for saltwater.

I might rinse a reel coming off the beach but that aint the end of it. It's getting torn down completely.

The only reel I know of that is built for surf fishing is an Alvey reel. You got a fiberglass spool and a coupla pieces of stainless.
Bury on the beach, come back next week, dig it up, and fish with it.

As for anything else, the more mechanical it is the more it needs maintained. Another thing is metallurgy. Some of the copycats and cheap brands use monkey metal (pot metal). Saltwater eats it like candy.

Buy nice stuff, treat it better than your youngins and it might last a while on the surf. Buy nice stuff and rinse it off and throw it in the closet.....it aint gonna make the long haul. It's no different than owning ocean front property. Salt is a constant battle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.