NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
We had a great time. There was about 30 kids total. We caught a few small fish. AND I am completly exhausted! I will post details and pics later.

·
Registered
574 Posts
ParrotHead said:
We had a great time. There was about 30 kids total. We caught a few small fish. AND I am completly exhausted! I will post details and pics later.
And now for the rest of the story. Scouts, brothers, sisters, moms and dads all fished. Most were using worms and minnows and all the fish were caught on worms. There was 15 fish caught, one bream some yellow perch and several of another fish I couldn't identify. I wish I had gotten a photo of one of those. It was a silver & white fish with a dark lateral line and kinda shaped like a white bass, but didn't have the light horizontial lines of a white bass. Any ideas :confused:. The biggest fish was a whopping 5 1/2 inches!

The boys also used their homemade lures. No fish were caught on those, but some of the boys tried real hard and the lures turned out to be pretty cool. (Note to self: get pictures of lures before the boys use them to fish) Unfortunately, several of the lures were lost at the bottom of the lake.

Thanks to RGD Project Management (www.RGDinc.com) and Dick's Sporting Goods there were tons of prizes for the boys. The NCWRC also donated a ton of button pins, pencils, rulers, whistles and books for the goody bags. Every scout earned his Fishing Belt Loop and several earned their Fishing Pins.

And a big "THANKS" to all of you that helped out with your suggestions. We're doing it again next year, but not until late April or early May.

I posted some of the photos in my album, I'll post the others when I get them. http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/749

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff PH, wow, tough conditions and the kids caught fish,, that's great!

I think Sinkerman's got a run for his money they way some of them lures the boys did.. Look's great! Good Job PH!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
PH--- Those kids will never forget this trip or you for your involvement. Great Job! Thanks for getting some of youth involved in fishing.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Keep up the good work Parrothead. The world needs more people doing just what you did. I wish the fish would have cooperated better but those boys and girls and moms and dads all learned a little patience I'm sure. I'll send you a picture of what I believe is your mystery fish in a few min. AL
OK how about a link? (well so much for that one.) http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/lineart/white%20perch.jpg
For a bunch more pics just do a simple google search under images of white perch.

·
Registered
574 Posts
No hero here. It's all very selfish. I do it for my own satisfaction :). My best day fishing is a day that I can watch my son holding a rod that's doubled over, but just seeing him with the pole is enough of a reason to go. I wasn't able to take many pics, but some of the other Dad's did and as soon as they email them to me, I'll put them up. I'd really like you guys to how proud these boys were when they got their prizes and belt loops.

Al & Randy, the white perch is probably it. The only thing I remember that may have been different is the shape of the head. It looked too small for the body, like a white bass. I described it to my Dad and he said one of his buddies was crazy about that fish and he always called it a white or silver perch. That's gotta be what they were.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.