NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone! I'm glad I found this site. I'm trying to plan a nice little vacation this weekend as a surprise for my boyfriend. (He knows we're going somewhere but doesn't know anything else).

He loves to fish and I thought it would be nice if we could do some fishing. Neither of us know anything about the fishing in my area (Durham) or even in North Carolina!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a last minute weekend getaway that I could try to pull together? We don't (yet!) have a boat, nor do we have any fishing gear (I think he left his stuff at his Dad's in Missouri). I don't have any gear. I haven't fished since I was a small child (and that was a LONG time ago... but I'd like to share some of his interests and I remember enjoying fishing as a child).

Some ideas I've had is renting a pontoon boat or something similar for some of the local lakes, or finding an inexpensive charter on the coast. I haven't read through all the forums here, so hopefully this won't be too much of a duplicate request for helpful suggestions.

Thanks all!

Lori

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Great idea!
A phone call to any of the folks labeled "Captain" on the Sponsors list (http://www.ncangler.com/index.php?page=sponsorthanks) will let you know if anyone's got an opening this weekend, and how much it'll cost. Most are coastal; there are a few who guide for stripers on Jordan...

Either a guided trip or a "party boat" (also called "head boat") will be able to provide gear.

I have a friend who recently rented a pontoon boat on Jordan -- rental and gas cost him right around $200 for the day.

If you're really adventuresome, you could fix him up with a kayak-fishing guide... ;)

Reactions: Lori713

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
First let me say.. YOU ARE THE WOMAN!!! he is lucky to have someone willing to do this... I too have gotten so lucky..:D my wife is great!
Now, unfortunately Cheap and Charter don't fit in the same sentence. Charters can run $350+ for half day trips and "most" don't guarantee you'll catch fish. But the guides are top notch and KNOW where to go and what to do, so a "no catch" is very unlikely!!
I would say a good bet for an "Inexpensive" weekend would be one of the fishing piers on our coast. The fish are biting right now, they will rent equipment and sell all of the tackle and baits you may need for the most part.You can stay as long as you wish, I like to do a "first light to midnite" day when I go... It is after Labor day so the crowds are a bit lighter and the hotels are reasonable. I recommend Surf City in N Topsail or Sea View, Jolly Roger in Topsail because Bogue Inlet pier is the only one in its area now and gets crowded!
Option 2 is to charter a "Headboat". These are large boats carry up to 80 or so people and supply you with rods, bait and tackle and go far offshore for deep sea fishing. Water can be slick as glass, or toss you around like a rag doll all day but you are there like it or not unless the Captain turns around. I think right now it is around $85 per person for a full day trip. Carolina Princess and Continental Shelf are 2 popular ones and they have websites you can search.
As far as freshwater some of these other guys can help you I'm sure with the details about rentals and such but you will have to buy equipment and Tackle I'd expect.
Good luck to you whatever you decide!!!

Reactions: Lori713

·
Registered
840 Posts
For the Durham area, there is the Rolling View State Recreation Area (where I work) that has plenty of Camping and Fishing. We are open year round except Christmas Day. That being said, the lake is down about 6+ feet right now and I have not seen too many fishermen out and about to talk with.

The Marina at Falls Lake used to rent pontoon boats but they stopped this about 2 years ago due to high maintenance / insurance costs. With the lake being down as low as it is, if you are not familiar with Falls Lake I would STRONGLY recommend that you not put a boat, rental or otherwise, on the water. With water this low you will only end up tearing up your prop or worse.

I do not know of anyone that rents boats at Falls Lake except "Paddle Creek", which rents canoes and kayaks. Also, make sure you have your fishing license with you. You can purchase them at any number of sporting goods shops or online at North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission They are $15 per person for the entire year.

I have a feeling the tackle monkey is about to have a field day with you guys!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Lori my wife and I went to Surf City about 2 weeks ago and had a great time. It was just a quick spur of the moment trip 1 night. They were catching lots of fish on the pier and surf. The rooms were reasonable and the food was really good. Be glad to get you the number for the place we stayed if that would help it was really nice.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Lori,
Give the Holiday Inn Express in Sneads Ferry a call 327-8282 and get a room. It is at the foot of the high rise bridge on 210 going over to North Topsail Beach. From there you are only 6 miles from the SeaView Pier and about 10 to Surf City Pier. They are having good catches on spots, pompano and flounder. For the best seafood dinner go to the Riverview Restaurant in Sneads Ferry. It is right on the water. Connie Flinchum at the motel or Greg or Frank at the pier can tell you how to get there. It is only about 6 miles. The motel is also next to North Shore Country Club if ya'll play golf. Tell them all Richard Phelps sent you.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Has anyone got the weekend weather forecast for the coast? I'd say that is the best place to go if the weather isn't bad. You don't need to buy a fishing license to fish on the ocean piers and most all of them have rental rods. Plenty of fish being caught. Late evening and at night is generally the best time.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Chimney Rock would be a good quiet weekend get away. Rent a Chalete by the creek, Lake lure tour trip on pontoon boat is worth it and not alot of money.

Good local restraunt there that serves trout and even saltwater fish variety (stuffed flounder and redfish/grouper).

Here's a good link for ya to check out:
Chimney Rock Guide Vacation Rentals Cabins and Chalets

And this is cool.. didnt think so at first,, but really enjoyed the lake cruise:
Lake Lure Tours

My wife and I have stayed there a few times and have really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the great responses! I think I'm going to go with the coast this weekend since I know he'll really enjoy that. I also think we're going to try to do some intracoastal, pier, and surf fishing, and then see what we can happen upon with regard to walk-on charters for any near-shore or offshore fishing.

Hopefully we'll get some much needed rain and we can think about visiting some of the area lakes. I'm really looking forward to that as well!

Thanks again! I will still check back here to see if I can get even more good stuff. :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you are Pier fishing, the pier will have a blanket license that covers all of it's customers. Surf and sound fishing will require a saltwater license. Links to the depatment of marine fisheries page are in the links section. (see the navigation bar at the top of the page) They have fish ID pictures, size and creel limits plus a bunch of other information on their site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.