NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just poking around some boards and found this kayak fishing board. Good to see it's really catching on. I've been in the sport about 5 years now and been in a few tournaments. I fish mostly the Fort Fisher area when I'm not in Greenville for school.

I have two boats, a mango Tarpon 140 and a granite Malibu eXtreme. I also have a Hurricane Phoenix 140 angler that is a prototype model but it goes back to the company sometime.

Anyway, looking forward to talking and hopefully meeting most of everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome to the site Druminator! I'm sure you'll find some kindred spirits here. I've not done any kayak fishing myself yet but we have a place in Oriental, NC and I know it is really catching on there.

Please pass the word to your other angling friends about the site. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I'll see if I can post some of the pics of my kayaks.

This is my Tarpon. The tankwell has a cooler setup I built that's really nice. It's an Igloo Coolmax, Plano Tackle belt, Berkley Triple rod holder, and in one of the pockets in the belt I have a bubbler that runs into the cooler for keeping live bait.

This is the best picture of the eXtreme I have. I won it in a kayak fishing tournament in Virginia Beach for having the biggest slam (and only slam). It's an awesome boat and I'm trying to get the store I work for (Great Outdoor Provision Company) to carry them.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. How many people here are from the Wilmington area? I have a good group of about 6 who go out regularly together. I'd like to meet everyone here. I plan on coming down to do some fishing at Fort Fisher or the Cape Fear this Sunday if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Re: How's it going everyone?

Nice to see you here Drum. I've fished the Wilmington area a few times, last year. However, I'm looking forward to cranking up again. I've often thought about launching at Fort Fisher, but never have. I hope that I can get down and give it a try in the spring. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Welcome aboard Druminator, Although yaking is not my only mode of fishing, it has become one of my favorites. Just caught a bunch of specks from my WS Pungo 12 last week, a good old mans yak --light and roomie for its size. I take care of the waterways and back waters from Sea Level to Cedar Island. My only problem is that I waited till I'm almost to old to completely enjoy this wonderful sport. Look forward to your posting .

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard, It seems that most of the kayakers on board are sort of geographically seperated but that's really ok for a young site . It sort of difficult to get together but it helps if you want to learn about a new area. Are you familiar with the Core Banks by any chance? AL

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right about everyone being spread out but also being helpful with their areas. I'm not familiar with Core Banks. I fish mostly around Fort Fisher and just found a new spot off of River Road. Went out yesterday for a couple hours while I was in town and managed to lose a flounder at the boat while my friend caught a 17 inch drum. Conditions were terrible though. Low tide, full moon the night before, dirty water... We did have a huge freighter pass us and he sucked about a foot of water out from underneath us. We were floating one second then sitting on dry land the next.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've never been grounded by a freighter but the first couple of times one comes by your yak is sort of thought provoking.:eek: I really would love to fish the Ocracoke and Drum Inlets by Kayak next fall. I haven't done it yet and you never Know when time will be up. I would also like to give it a shot at the height of the cobia run. Most of my yakking in NC has been between Topsail and Wrightsville. Most of my surf fishing has been in the outer banks. I have fished nearly every pier in the state and some that are no longer with us. I think the 2 inlets named would provide some of the best puppy drum fishing in the country if you fished them right at the right time. I think it is high time for me to quit ignoring the obvious. Maybe we could get together a kayak trip up that way next fall. AL

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
sinker man said:
I would also like to give it a shot at the height of the cobia run.
From what I've read, cobia are quite accomplished runners. Seems like they'd give you a good ride in a kayak. :eek: WHEE!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.