NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on trying lock and dam number 1 when it warms up a little what does anyone here about big cats coming out of there

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
There are definitely some big blue cats there. Try around March/April during the shad run up the river to the dam. The cats will sit under the large schools waiting for a meal.

If you are fishing from a boat, don't use a good anchor as there is a lot of junk on the bottom and you will probably get snagged. Lots of guys use a cinder block with a section of heavy duty mono between the block and the main line. that way if the cinder clock gets hung it will break off and you aren't out an anchor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks i just went up there today and talked to a old timer he said the best thing to do is get in a boat and go to the other side and fish from the concrete platform

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Blues will keep biting in the cold weather as well. They don't slow down like Flatheads and Channels do. They just won't be as aggresive as they are when the shad are schooling. Bottom fishing with cut bait,liver works well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Definantly big cats in the river. I use eels and small bream hooked on a carolina rig cast out in the middle where the tubulence calms a little. Liver and cut bait are also good choices. Got to be careful up close to the dam more than a few boats have sunk form people getting to close and careless.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no that i replied i can see everyones post but anyway thanks for all the info what do you recommend for wieght of sinkers what will kepp it on the bottom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.