NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt and I hit HPCL today, and found a calm, motionless lake. Not a breeze anywhere. The fish were sluggish in hitting Texas or Carolina rigs, we fished til 0930 without a bite. Went to the front of the last island, and Matt finally got a two pounder to hit a speedcraw. I had a bubblegum trick worm tied on one rod, weightless, my fave floating worm bait, and lobbed a cast near the point of the island near the grass. Two twitches and the water exploded, and I got a nice three pound fish to the boat. Fought hard, I would have bet ya anything it was five or better, but I will take it, the fight was good! About five minutes later a nice two pounder mashed my floater, and then a one pounder grabbed it and got caught on the next cast!
Rain moved in, so we hid under the bridge at East Fork and waited it out. Matt grew impatient, and made a cast to the rip rap under the bridge with an ole monster worm, and got a nice three pounder. The fish had an old healed wound that had left a notch in her back, really odd.
We moved on and caught five more, Matt got another nice three or so, and I got four more on the floater, all keepers, biggest around two pounds.
Ten fish is good for the lake, and I had seven on the floater. The cloud cover stayed most of the morning, guess that's why they wanted that floating trick worm. All mine were in or near the grass beds, and I bet I missed six or so that short hit the worm. Still, in spite of the rain, it was a decent day!

Matt under bridge.jpg floater bass.jpg

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Funny I just asked in one of my threads why people don't use them anymore. They work great.

For such a productive and popular bait 25 years ago....they never quit working. Marketing of new products just pushed them to the curb. We probably have young and old fishermen here that has never heard of a Danny Joe Humphrey floating worm. Used to be the one of the hottest things hanging on the wall.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Nice day! I love the floating worm. I discovered them a few years ago while at Kerr. I have thrown them all over the place at RRR but they have worked only sporadically. Looks like I need to head out to City Lake the next cloudy day and get my floating worm fix.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Anyone ever tried them for drum in the sound? I know a spot near topsail where we saw tons of fish but the weeds were level with the top of the water so a hard bait topwater would still catch the weeds. Action wise the floating worm is exactly what I need there but I just wonder if the drum would bite it

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Danny Joe's were the first I ever used. Was out at HPCL years ago, and had just purchased a bag of the red ones. It was a cloudy day in late May, and I started using the floaters. I caught too many to count, had two over six, and three more between 4 and five pounds. Once caught 32 at Badin on the trick worm rigged floating style. I love them, but it seems to require grass and clouds or at least low light conditions to work well. Matt and I won a tourney at HPCL on them.
Never got one bite on them at RRR, usually works at Tuckertown, HPCL, Badin. Anywhere with lots of grass.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When up in Maine this summer the bite was slow one day with the guide. We started injecting air into our night crawlers with a diabetic syringe. We went from one fish to many as soon as we did that.

mikeski

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check out this notch-back bass I caught a couple of years ago. Beavers were bad in this pond, and that's what I was thinking. Maybe a turtle?
Maybe a great blue heron? Who knows. I doubt beaver, cause they are vegetarians. Otter, mink, heron, turtle. One of these I am thinking.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i catch bass everywhere i go on the floater. it is killer and will stay that way. lately have just had to fish it like a senko but early summer can move it quickly and cover water faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts