NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decent day for Matt and I today at HPCL. Met one of our new guys, DCangler, (Kenneth) and chatted with him for a bit. Nice fella, said he recognized me by the Duke hat, lol! We shared some info, and he got to see the speedcraw at work. We started off throwing the mag finesse, and I got two right off the bat on that. Matt caught one on a speedcraw as I was reeling in my second, we got the double. I held the fish, and he took the pic. Bad choice there, he is much more photogenic than I am, but once you get my age, married for 36 years, stuff like that don't seem to matter much..lol
We headed as far north as we can go there, and Matt hooked a big bowfin that self released right at the boat. Good fight though.
Matt then hooked a good fish that wrapped him up and escaped, exact same tree where he lost a good one a couple of weeks back. Sure we will be back on that tree soon! I then got one on a crank, little 13 incher, and Matt stuck another two pounder on a speedcraw. The bite slowed, so we went to points, and found a few willing to eat Carolina rigged speedcraws.
All in all it was a decent day, no real big fish, but some good ones that were willing to scrap!
Total was:
Speedcraw 7
Mag finesse 2
Cranks 1
bass one.jpg bass2.jpg

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Nice job, Jerry. Today was nice. I was on the water for a few hours but it was family time, so we went to Oak Hollow since I feel safer with the two year old in the center console than the jon boat for obvious reasons. He had fun, he's a fisherman in the making, and I did manage to catch a 5lb hybrid and a bass yesterday, and 3 bass today during my 2 and a half hours of alone-time.

Congrats on the catch. Big Ethel is still there waiting for ya, I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Big Ethel is still there. The lake has given up some nice fish the past few weeks. In spite of all the recent rains, it's fairly clear once you get past the bubble lines. The lines were worked on last week, and got the middle part of the lake dingy. I figured the upper end would be stained, but it was pretty good. Matt and I had no takers in that little cove up there, however. We didn't go up the feeder creek, even though the lake was full.
The old rock dam is almost impossible to fish now, a growth of an aquatic weed is everywhere except the eastern end of it. I did catch my crank bait fish there, and we saw what thought were white perch schooling shad off that end, but my square bill got the small largemouth.
We have caught most of our fish on speedcraws, but the mag finesse has bagged several, including the big one I got last week.
Back to worms vs speedcraws. To be perfectly frank, you know I throw that bait a heckuva lot, so logic says that is what I get mine on, lol. I love Texas rigging myself, and have seen times when I caught lots on the ole monster worm, which is a big fish getter. It's just been my experience that the speedcraw is more versatile than any worm I have used. To each his own. Every person here throws what they have confidence in, and fellas, let me tell you, Sam is as good a Texas rig man as I have ever seen. He got me 15-11 at RRR, although we both were using worms, he with the Berkley Power worm and me with the Zoom ole monster.
When Dennis and I were fishing tournaments, we fished against some pretty good fishermen, and the speedcraw helped us win 11 out of 24 tourneys in two years. The second year we won seven of twelve.
Not that we were better than them, we just caught what I feel was "lightning in a bottle" with this little bait.
That, in itself, is why I am sold on speedcraws. I like to catch bass, and until something better comes along, I will continue to throw it.
Yesterday, my cousin Rick and my brother Mike were there at HPCL too. Both are good fishermen, both have won tournaments (used to fish them with Rick) and know what they're doing, Rick got a nice one out there last week, I posted the pic, but yesterday, they each caught just one. Throwing cranks and worms primarily, they just couldn't get bit.
I don't know why the speedcraw is so great, but it is. Maybe it's the fuss the little recurved pincers kick up, that's my guess. I rig it with the hook point inserted a bit further to the back, raising the front end up a bit, which makes it look like a crawfish in a defensive posture.
Dennis and I used it primarily as a Carolina rig bait. When I saw where some were using it as a jig trailer, I figured it would work just like a jig if I Texas rigged it, and it worked perfectly well that way.
Anyway, guess there are those that are sick of me bragging on them here, and I get it. So in the future my posts will include only baits I catch fish on that ARE NOT speedcraws.. If I don't say, then you know what I was using!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jerry was good to meet you & Matt yest. Can't say thanks enough for the info out there & yes your bait did more damage than the Reaction Innovation Beaver I was throwing on a rig. So yeah when I got home I pulled out the BPS book & started putting a color selection together.

Got 2 more bites after I last saw you one on the beaver & one solid fish on a crank bait that did the wild dance on top & spit the hooks. So I ended the day with 3 & 6 or 7 missed bites not gonna complain one bit for never seeing the lake before. Looking forward to coming back over there & put one of those big girls in the boat ;) Thanks

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, DC. Nice meeting you too. Glad you like the lake, she's a good one for sure. There are lakes where one can catch better numbers, day in and day out, but the quality out there is good, and a guy can get double figures on a good day.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Anyway, guess there are those that are sick of me bragging on them here, and I get it. So in the future my posts will include only baits I catch fish on that ARE NOT speedcraws.. If I don't say, then you know what I was using!
Aw, man I didn't mean to give the impression I was tired of anything; I just like singing about my favorite like people like to talk about theirs... you don't need to censor yourself, I've seen you slay fish on speedcraws when the worm wasn't working. Heck, you've seen me switch when it was outfishing my worm!

You have always been generous with wanting to share your tactics and baits, and your local knowledge. I was just puffing up a little, don't pay me any mind. :D

Thanks for the report... I hope you catch up with the big one(s) up there soon!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I cant believe we are still talking about that lousy speedcraw bait. PEOPLE THEY DONT CATCH FISH!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You are right, Gene. Especially that cruddy lookin' green pumpkin!
Under no circumstance should a person throw a green pumpkin magic speedcraw. Its realy an excercise in futility, and only productive if you like the skunk.

I repeat...speedcraws are HORRIBLE!

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts