NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was originally planning a family water day, but my wife decided it was going to be a bit chilly in the morning for getting our two year old in the water, so I was freed up to fish a few hours this morning. Headed to the 'local flow' aka High Point City Lake. Weather was nice, felt like post-frontal conditions but I never checked the weather to see if it was. Fish acted like it, too.

Threw a few twitch baits, flukes, and a spinner bait for short bursts but mostly I was targeting wood cover (and in some places, some rocks) with plastic worms. Caught 5 total in 5 hours. 2 dinks, 2 barely keepers, and the last one off a laydown closer to deep water was the fattest I've seen in a while. It was 15 inches and almost 3 lbs (2lb 12oz). :D

Lake has come up maybe 6 inches or so. It's still not full but not quite as low as it was.

Cloud Sky Water Smile Vertebrate
Water Bird Vertebrate Lake Body of water
<--- big ole' belly on that fish!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That one hasn't missed many meals. HPCL has been pretty kind to you of late.

BTW, I noticed yesterday that Oak Hollow had the spillway bypass opened. I don't know if it was to try and get HPCL to full pool but it certainly will help.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, according to Jerry, the staff at HPCL said they were 'sending' some water from Oak Hollow to City Lake. The water rose about 6 inches in a week, without appreciable rainfall, so I'm assuming that is why.

HPCL has been kind in some ways, but each picture represents quite a bit of head-scratching and a few hundred casts each day. ;) With equal time to fish, I may have been able to catch more fish at Randleman, but City Lake is closer to home and the load/unload time of the jonboat (since it lives in the garage) makes it more feasible to fish when I only have a few hours. I like City Lake and it has some nice fish in it, but for me it's always been a little on the fickle side. That being said, due to time on the water learning things, and in large part to Jerry Condrey's generosity with giving up specific knowledge of this 'local flow,' I do catch enough fish and nice enough fish there that it certainly keeps me coming back. :D

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Kinda wish Guffey and I had gone there instead of Badin yesterday. We left the dock, headed south, and the lower unit failed on his boat. We still had the trolling motor, but we were very limited on where we could fish, being only a mile or so from where we put in, we had to make sure we got back. We caught four, and I got this Water Shorts Sky Leg Cloud

one on a c rig speedcraw. We got rained on, but it's fun fishing with Guffey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.