NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work this weekend so I was off today. Had a short window this morning and then my wife offered to keep the little guy this evening so I could go fishing again from 530 till dark. Went to HPCL this morning, I only had about 3 hours to fish, so I didn't have much time for trying new patterns and such...figured I'd try to repeat what I did this past Sunday. I repeated what I did, but the fish did not. I got a couple pickups that I swung and missed on, but the only fish I was able to catch were two tiny little dink schoolies that were running shad in the upper end. After the 4.5 and 5.5 that Jerry and I caught Sunday, I was a little disappointed, but that's just fishin'. :D

So I had to get home, unhook the boat, go get the boy from school, give him lunch, then get to a doctor's appointment... and when I got home, my wife noted that it was Thursday and Oak Hollow is open late on Thursdays (I don't need reminding, but I was going to leave well enough alone till she brought it up). When your wife suggests she can keep the toddler so you can go fishing, the answer is always, "Sure, ok, thanks!"

Given my past several trips and the limited time I had to fish, I wasn't expecting much. I got to Oak Hollow about 5pm and just cruised a bit looking for activity. There were shad schools all over the place, so I picked a section that had good bait presence and some contour, some rock, and just generally a good vibe. Worked a swim jig, twitch bait, spinner bait, and shakey head along the first section, no love. Decided to go back to my old tried and true, the Berkley Power worm. Eschewed the green pumpkin this time for the red shad I used to fish all the time and that worked on Sunday, and it was on like Donkey Kong.

Hooked up with 5 bass, and missed a couple others on a mixed bag of rocky main lake semi-points, one on a bridge piling, one on a laydown, and two while up-sloping a dropoff bank (where I cast from shallow to deep and hop the worm up the slope instead of the other way around). I switched back to shakey head and a twitch bait for a bit to see if I could get bit in the same area, but they seemed to only want that T-rig worm. They were all keepers; didn't get the photo of the 2nd one as I dropped it while trying to liplock and it flopped out of the boat.

Cloud Sky Vertebrate Cap Baseball cap
Water Sky Smile Vertebrate Outdoor recreation
Rectangle Output device Font Display device Gadget
Water Smile Sky Vertebrate Fisherman
Smile Vertebrate Sky Fisherman Fin

What I thought was just going to be casting practice turned into a better-than average evening ... at Oak Hollow of all places!

·
Registered
35 Posts
O-H has always been a lake that left me clueless on just never could figure it out. Good job though!
Sam if you ever want to learn something about Thom-a-Lex let me know, I use to fish it 2-3 times a week for about 7-8 yrs pretty hard & even won a few tournys on it when they use to have them on it. There still is good fish in it but just a little hard headed!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
DC- can you share any of your knowledge of Thom-A-Lex with us? I grew up fishing that lake for crappie and bream, never have figured the bass out too well there. I know the crappie seem stunted for me anymore. I can go and catch a lot, but rarely any keeper size. Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I work this weekend so I was off today. Had a short window this morning and then my wife offered to keep the little guy this evening so I could go fishing again from 530 till dark. Went to HPCL this morning, I only had about 3 hours to fish, so I didn't have much time for trying new patterns and such...figured I'd try to repeat what I did this past Sunday. I repeated what I did, but the fish did not. I got a couple pickups that I swung and missed on, but the only fish I was able to catch were two tiny little dink schoolies that were running shad in the upper end. After the 4.5 and 5.5 that Jerry and I caught Sunday, I was a little disappointed, but that's just fishin'. :D

So I had to get home, unhook the boat, go get the boy from school, give him lunch, then get to a doctor's appointment... and when I got home, my wife noted that it was Thursday and Oak Hollow is open late on Thursdays (I don't need reminding, but I was going to leave well enough alone till she brought it up). When your wife suggests she can keep the toddler so you can go fishing, the answer is always, "Sure, ok, thanks!"

While the jury's still out on you, Sam, that Linda sure is a keeper!:p

Given my past several trips and the limited time I had to fish, I wasn't expecting much. I got to Oak Hollow about 5pm and just cruised a bit looking for activity. There were shad schools all over the place, so I picked a section that had good bait presence and some contour, some rock, and just generally a good vibe. Worked a swim jig, twitch bait, spinner bait, and shakey head along the first section, no love. Decided to go back to my old tried and true, the Berkley Power worm. Eschewed the green pumpkin this time for the red shad I used to fish all the time and that worked on Sunday, and it was on like Donkey Kong.

Only people our age and the few that are older know what Donkey Kong is!:D

Hooked up with 5 bass, and missed a couple others on a mixed bag of rocky main lake semi-points, one on a bridge piling, one on a laydown, and two while up-sloping a dropoff bank (where I cast from shallow to deep and hop the worm up the slope instead of the other way around).

Not sure what you selected as your weapon of choice in that first picture, but I almost always pull the 9-iron from that area! ;)

I switched back to shakey head and a twitch bait for a bit to see if I could get bit in the same area, but they seemed to only want that T-rig worm. They were all keepers; didn't get the photo of the 2nd one as I dropped it while trying to liplock and it flopped out of the boat.

View attachment 65493 View attachment 65494 View attachment 65495 View attachment 65496 View attachment 65497

What I thought was just going to be casting practice turned into a better-than average evening ... at Oak Hollow of all places!
Nice work out on the Dead Sea! If there's any life form in that place, you and Tex should be able to find it!:cool:

BTJ

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sam
Oak Hollow called, they were wondering what they were gonna tell all the anglers this week now that you've gone and stuck the five bass that call Oak Hollow home.
LOL, yeah no kidding! Feels that way most days, doesn't it?

Nice work out on the Dead Sea! If there's any life form in that place, you and Tex should be able to find it!:cool:

BTJ
Now, if I can repeat that a few times I'll start to think I have something figured out.... till it changes!

Sam if you ever want to learn something about Thom-a-Lex let me know, I use to fish it 2-3 times a week for about 7-8 yrs pretty hard & even won a few tournys on it when they use to have them on it. There still is good fish in it but just a little hard headed!!

Thanks, DC. I'll keep that in mind. I had such a tough time with that lake when I used to fish it that I sorta put it aside. Oak Hollow is actually closer to my house. That being said, if I ever find myself with more time to fish on my hands, I"ll be happy to learn a few things about that place!

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I failed to mention my little moment of irritation-turned-satisfaction. I was hitting my last spot in the fading light, and as I was moving down a bank making my way to a particular laydown (very obviously fishing along in that direction), another boat comes motoring up, pulls all the way around me and then angles straight into the bank at the laydown not more than 80 feet (maybe less) in front of me. He proceeds to start casting... I was so annoyed, but I didn't say anything, I just kept fishing along as I was originally going to, skirted around his boat and while I was careful not to cross his line, I started just fishing the laydown. He said hi, I just gave the head-bob type nod and didn't speak. He caught a dink off a branch near the main tree, said "Oh well, too small anyway, right?" I just sorta smiled and kept fishing, decided I wasn't going to say anything to him at all. I guess he got the idea, as he released the fish and pulled off, motored up and took off. Thanks for boat wake, I just kept fishing.

Jerry gives me a hard time about fishing laydowns... jokes when I say I just want another cast or two that 'yeah there might be another piece of bark or two you haven't picked off yet', referring to how long I'll spend (waste?) on a good laydown. I did that on this one too, was just sure there should be a good fish there, it's probably the best laydown in the lake with all the right ingredients... sure enough, that last fish, the biggest of the day, hit that t-rig on probably the 15th cast. I wished that guy had been there to see me do it, but I took the satisfaction and smiled as I motored back to the ramp. :D

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats why we only get about 100 yards of shoreline at lucas fished. So many perfect laydowns!
That's the truth, Gene. I get a series of good trees in the water and I'm nearly paralyzed! ;) I could spend 2 hours fishing one side of that one creek there at Lucas. I've caught too many good fish that way to let myself fish 'em fast!

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
96 Posts
DC what is the secret to Thom-a-Lex. I havee caught a few their but not consistantly. I love the lake and fish mostly the north end . I know of a regular that is their every time i go and he is always catching fish. Any help appreciated going Tuesday this comming week

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
That's the truth, Gene. I get a series of good trees in the water and I'm nearly paralyzed! ;) I could spend 2 hours fishing one side of that one creek there at Lucas. I've caught too many good fish that way to let myself fish 'em fast!
I will beat a tree to death myself, sometimes, but I prefer the isolated structure as opposed to several close together. Remember the fish you caught up there off that log sticking out of the water past East Fork in the channel? I believe isolated trees, being the only cover in a given area, are better, and hold fish more consistently.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I am going to HPCL tomorrow with Matt. Been tough there the last few days out there, I am told. Maybe it's time for a turn around. Sam and I got ten fish there last week, since then it's been all but dead. Couple of my friends are of the opinion the lake's bass population has dropped, because of white perch invasion and some people keeping the big females.
Then again, Randleman has been tough too, and there are certainly huge numbers there.
I will admit, it makes me kinda bent to see people keeping good breeder fish, but until the law changes, nothing I can do or say, just keep my mouth shut and fume!

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will beat a tree to death myself, sometimes, but I prefer the isolated structure as opposed to several close together. Remember the fish you caught up there off that log sticking out of the water past East Fork in the channel? I believe isolated trees, being the only cover in a given area, are better, and hold fish more consistently.
That is true, and that's one of the components to make a really good laydown.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't check in for a couple days and the world goes haywire! HPCL and Randleman getting complaints but the Dead Sea gives up 5 keepers in an evening. Will wonders never cease?

Well done!!

Yeah, it's like some kind of alternate universe, isn't it Andrew!? I had a hunch that day and I guess it panned out that time. Now, if I can repeat that several times I'll start to think maybe I might have learned something. Right now, it feels like I just happened to be there when the lightning struck so to speak.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Yeah, it's like some kind of alternate universe, isn't it Andrew!? I had a hunch that day and I guess it panned out that time. Now, if I can repeat that several times I'll start to think maybe I might have learned something. Right now, it feels like I just happened to be there when the lightning struck so to speak.
Let's not bury HPCL just yet. Matt and I caught nine there today, all on Zoom mag finesse worms. Biggest we got in the boat was three pounds, but six were keepers. I lost a huge fish up past East Fork on a laydown. Tommy came up in the patrol boat, and was talking to us when she hit. Got her up to the top, she was easily 7+! Wrapped up in the tree, and frayed the 14 pound fluoro and, pop! Line broke!:mad: Guess I need to try braid, or go up a size or so...:confused:

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
going to HPCL Thursday hope for some good luck. Going to Thom-a- Lex in the am for a few hrs
Beat the laydowns with the mag finesse. They were all over it today, only thing we could get bit on.
Oh. Please be careful, the lake is way down. We could get nowhere near the back of the last island under East Fork. Oak Hollow (Joke Hollow?) is keeping the water up there. Guess they need to keep their carp and catfish happy, lol!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.