NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
That's great, Jerry! I got my Dad out for a few hours this morning... we actually waved to Mike and his son as we passed them leaving the marina. We were up near or above East Fork most the morning, couldn't stir up much action. My Dad caught one smaller keeper and that was it. We threw power worms, zoom trick, mag finesse, and speed craws on shakey heads and texas rigs, and I threw a spinnerbait and an xrap xr6 briefly as well. We fished the usual spots, but we were fishing a little faster than usual because of my small time window before I had to be back to pick up the boy from preschool. The fish on sonar were not really moving much, and I am thinking the bite was probably set to pick up after we left. Did Mike say whether they caught many in the morning or was it later? Just curious.

Hat Fish Sun hat Fisherman Recreation

Congrats to them, sounds like a great day. I may be out there with you guys on Monday, if things pan out. I may get out there Sunday afternoon as well. Thanks for the report!

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Most were caught around 11-130 window, Mike says.
Well that makes me feel better. I saw more movement on the sonar as we were leaving... looked like some fish becoming active around that time frame where before I was seeing bait balls and fish sitting on the bottom not really doing much. I told him I bet if we could have stayed another few hours we'd get some more hits. Darn the luck! :D

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Hey jerry,

I know at one point the lake was down, after your trip you mind letting us know the condition of the lake? I would greatly appreciate it, good luck!
I was there today. It was a little stained but not muddy, and still low. I'm guessing 18 inches to 2ft or so below full? Driving down Eastchester today I saw water coming over the Oak Hollow spillway. :confused:

Got 6 but had to work for them. Spent most my time up near East Fork. Red shad power worms did most the work, one on mag finesse and one on spinner bait.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matt and I caught ten there today, most on mag finesse gp, but two came on speedcraws. Biggest were around 3 pounds to 3 and a half. Had a couple we missed, but oh well..lol
Surfrider was there too, gave us a tow up the lake so we could get there faster. Thanks for that Sam.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Matt and I caught ten there today, most on mag finesse gp, but two came on speedcraws. Biggest were around 3 pounds to 3 and a half. Had a couple we missed, but oh well..lol
Surfrider was there too, gave us a tow up the lake so we could get there faster. Thanks for that Sam.
That lake has been fishing pretty darn good lately or you have it on lock down. I have some of the mag finesse worms but have not fished them in quite a while (looks like I need to):D. Are you t-rigging, c-rigging, or shakey head rigging these?

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
That lake has been fishing pretty darn good lately or you have it on lock down. I have some of the mag finesse worms but have not fished them in quite a while (looks like I need to):D. Are you t-rigging, c-rigging, or shakey head rigging these?
All three work, mostly T-rig but I got one Sunday with mag finesse on shakey finesse head (ball head shaped shakey head).

I struggled today out there, Jerry and Matt were doing something right and I was just having a hard time making something happen. Picked up in the last couple hours and managed to end the day with 5, biggest was 2lb and lost a nice one in a laydown on main lake.

Not bad for post cold front fishing, though. HPCL is streaky, but it's a good lake overall for a small quiet water.

Reactions: oldkayaker

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
True. Ricky wound up with five, couple of decent three pounders on spinnerbait and Lake Fork Flutterspoon.
He was probably pursuing the better pattern for this time of year for the bigger fish... but don't tell that to the 3.5 you caught up in a few feet of water ;)

Reactions: oldkayaker

·
Registered
68 Posts
I made it out today and had to fight the wind and rain all day, but it was well worth it. I caught a lot of fish on the same pattern you guys are catching them on, but opted to use a jig and shaky head. Unfortunately, I was confined to (1) smallish area due to the wind, but the same laydowns produced over and over again. I never did stick any real good fish, biggest probably 2 to 2 1/4, but defiantly can not complain. I just wanted to say "thanks" to jerry and surfrider for your previous reports and leading me/and others in the right direction. And one last thing, if they keep the water up the backs of the creeks are about to bust wide open, be ready to bring out the buzzbaits, square bills, and chatter baits!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.