NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out yesterday and bought a new Perception Striker Angler. IT cost 515 total for it. was still wrapped in the factory plastic. i was super excited to buy this Kayak. drive it the hour home. Unwrap it and saw two major things were wrong with it. the Day Hatch in front of the seat was missing. so there is this large 5" hole there and one of the seat tie downs was broken. i called Dicks and they told me they cant fix it cause they don't carry spare parts there and that i need to go through the manufacturer. Of course the Manufacturer is closed on the weekends so i sent them a message and am going to call them on Monday. hopefully they will help me out. I don't think i should have to pay to get that parts for something i bought brand new and was missing them. But i am still excited for the huge upgrade from my little 10' sit in side to the 11.5' sit on top.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Normally manufacturers are eager to help fix something that wont get shipped back to them at more expense or cost than fixing your problem. Ask for a little something extra for your troubles you never know. Keep us informed and pics of the new yak Please.

Reactions: dbeam and 2840-FISH

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh i will def be asking for something for my troubles. and the pictures will come later today. its too cold to go out and try to lug this huge thing around. waiting till it gets a little warmer today

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I would make sure I mentioned the drive and the disappointment and then said something like. "So, with all this extra worry getting this thing as it should have been anyway, what are you going to do for me? I think some accessories or a discount voucher for Dicks should be issued for my troubles.." And if they so much as sputter about any of this I would haul that rascal right back where it came from and make sure they knew how unhappy I am over it all..

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
The "contact the manufacturer" is a standard policy for big box stores and their large item manufactures ( I work for one of the big box home stores and see this daily). The company should simply send you the missing pieces free of charge, and parts usually show up within a week. You mentioned a display model left in the store. If you want the parts sooner, and they are in acceptable shape on the display, then call the store and tell them you want the pieces off of it. The store will then be responsible for replacing their own parts for the display.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is true but im the type of person who once i had my sights set on something and finally get it i will keep it until i run it into the ground. but here is a picture of it. i have alot of work to do to get it to where i will love it. and i am def going to get them to fix this. plus i love the 3 year manufacturer's warranty. i can be a very spiteful person if things don't go my way. lets just say im on the 3rd engine in my 2006 dodge Dakota and second transmission and i have paid 0$ for them also got a free upgraded stereo and they paid 5000 towards what my loan was for it when i bought it brand new. lol. but here is a pictures of the new yak. the picture on the right shows the missing day hatch cover and waterproof bag and on the far left of the picture is the broken seat clip thingy.

Boat Water Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
160 Posts
EpikFail,

Sorry to hear about the let down! I bought a yak from Dick's yesterday also, but I tore the packaging off the thing at the front door before I left. I like to see what I'm buying!!! I am sure the manufacturer will make things right. Hope you get to enjoy it soon! Post some good pics once you get it rigged out!

FishStik

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh i will. it will be a slow process or rigging it out though. but it should be done slowly as i get to take it out on the water and see what i can do and what will work. hopefully next weekend i can go out on the water and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like you got a good plan when it comes to rigging! Hopefully next weekend will be a little nicer yakkin weather. Today is brutal around here! I tried to fish from the pier here at the house and about froze my nose off. Got three bites but nothing solid. I think they were scared to come out in the cold! I'm looking forward to some warmer temps!

FishStik

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's disappointing customer service from Dick's. I used to work at a wholesale/retail business and if there was an issue that we couldn't fix in house we would call the manufacturer for the customer. I'm not sure if they still do the same, but I would hope they would. Congrats on the new kayak! Hope you get rigged up and on the water soon.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Big Box stores see you as one little minnow in a school of bait. They will just keep feeding.... good luck.. These days "warranties" mean next to nothing.

Reactions: wademaster

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Big Box stores see you as one little minnow in a school of bait. They will just keep feeding.... good luck.. These days "warranties" mean next to nothing.
True. This is why sometimes forking a few more bucks over to "the little guy" for the same product or one like it will pay off in the end.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea. well im waiting until 9 when their customer service is open and am going to talk with them about what they can for for me. if i dont like the answers i get i will be returning it and looking else where. but i feel they will take good care of me

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.