NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just signed up and want to wish you all a belated Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Glad to find this website, and anxious to talk, and maybe fish with you all.

yakbutt (aka Rick) :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to NCangler.com Yak. Do you fish down this way often? What do you fish for up your way?
Hi NCA...

Thanks for the welcome. I actually lived just outside of Charlotte back in 2002-04. My soon-to-be fiancee still lives there in Matthews. I did a fair amount of fishing in the Charlotte area, but never got to the salt. I've been an ardent trout/salmon fly fisherman for a little better than 40 years now. Had my own outfitting business a few years ago, complete with driftboat, canoes, and float tubes/kick boats, guiding fly fishermen/women on northern NH waters. Also quided hunters for moose, bear, deer, turkey, waterfowl, coyote and upland gamebirds. But that was in the past. Now, I got bit by the kayak fishing bug, and can't get enough of it. At present, I'm expanding my horizons, and gearing up for some saltwater fly fishing -- from the yak of course. Anyway, look forward to chatting with you more in the future.
Regards,

YB/Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I did notice the kayak fishing forum. Plan to do some reading there tonight. Thanks again for the welcome. Tight lines to you as well... :)

PS -- You asked if I get to fish down your way very often. I haven't fished NC since I left there in 2004. But Brenda and I are planning some yak fishing trips to the Topsail and Buzzards Bay areas, as well as Lake Hartwell in SC this spring.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Nice to meet ya, YB
I'm headed to Topsail tomorrow myself -- it'll be my first time there with the yak. I've been to Ft. Fisher several times, but never all the way down to Buzzards Bay. I've heard good things about that place, just haven't managed to paddle down that far. (It's a much easier paddle if you've got a 4x4 to, um, help, get closer.)
Lefty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to meet you, Lefty
Good luck to you at Topsail. Wish I wasn't so far away, I'd catch up with you. Brenda and I have been planning some trips for this coming spring. Ft. Fisher looks/sounds interesting. And I've heard good things about Topsail. I hear that Buzzard's Bay is a bit of a paddle. I drive a Chevy Silverado, but of course, it'll be napping back in NH when I come down. Brenda has a Jeep Wrangler, but doesn't have a rack to haul the yaks. But hopefully we'll get that taken care of fairly soon. Anyway, good chatting with you, and look forward to more.

YB (aka Rick)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Crummy. Nice to meet you. While I was in the Charlotte area, I ventured to the Asheville area for trout. Is there something closer? Want to take my soon-to-be fiancee for some yak trout action next season, but not quite sure where to go. Davidson River is a little fast and rocky for yaks, so I'm in the market for some new water. Good hearing from you... Don't be a stranger. ;)

YB / Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.