NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (Oct. 15) – The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission reminds hunters that responsible and ethical behavior influences public attitudes toward hunting.

“I consider every hunting trip as an opportunity to be a good ambassador,” said Wyatt Currin of Youngsville, in Franklin County. “How I conduct myself reflects not only on me, but hunters in general. I want to reinforce the image of hunting as a wholesome, family-oriented activity.”

For Currin, hunting is a family tradition. He began as a young boy with his father and grandfather, who instilled the tenets of safety and sportsmanship. Today, quail are his game of choice, along with some bowhunting for deer and an occasional dove hunt.

“I ask permission to hunt on private property,” Currin said. “I don’t carry weapons to their door, I introduce myself and thank them. Later, as proud as I may be of my success, I don’t parade my harvest around town like a trophy. You cover it up. If I see illegal activity I have a responsibility to report it, and call local law enforcement or the Violations Hotline (1-800-662-7137).”

Some hunters become involved in community outreach and volunteerism, whether providing meat to an organization like Hunters for the Hungry or speaking about the importance of wildlife conservation to civic, school and church groups. Currin, for example, is a volunteer hunter safety instructor.

“You want to preserve the heritage. As a true sportsman, you want to do things responsibly,” he said. “It’s important to all of us, hunters and non-hunters alike.”

Hunter Education courses are offered free by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission throughout the state. More than a gun safety course, the course includes information about conservation and game management, firearms, wildlife identification, survival and first aid, specialty hunting and, of course, hunter ethics and responsibility. For more information, visit www.ncwildlife.org, or call (919) 707-0030.

-30-

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.