NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I`m looking at two used hurricane 16 ft kayaks,the phenix I think. the guy want 700.00 each for them. Is this a good price?Has anyone paddled one?

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
2 NCangler members come up in a member search for Hurricane in the boat field...Druminator and Rabidd099.
Here's Druminator modeling the latest in Hurricane fashion from earlier this year:

If they don't chime in on the post, try to get their attention via Private Message or email.

I've not fished with either of them to get a good look at how the Hurricane boats hold up to time & stress, but I've not heard any complaints. I also haven't seen the 16 in person. I liked what I had read about it. You certainly can't beat their low weight and their sharp look with any other plastic boat.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You'd be getting a 16 foot boat for the cost of a 12-footer... and the weight of a 12-footer, for that matter... There's a lot to be said for that deal...

Reactions: ogrefish

·
Registered
884 Posts
I like my P160. It's my favorite kayak of all the ones I've ever paddled. I have a P130 also. The P160 behaves a lot different than a lot of other fishing kayaks. There is hardly any initial stability but the secondary grabs hard. I call it "The Hand of God" because I found myself praying a lot when I first started paddling because I thought that I would flip it :D I can pole this kayak...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svAvel9Z2_k"]YouTube - Phoenix 160[/ame]

One of the best features is the Venturi System scupper. This kayak is dry under a huge load. I've not managed to pack it with enough stuff yet that would cause water to back up into the footwells. The low rails are very comfortable for sitting side saddle and they don't dig into the back of your legs. It paddles very straight and edges well into turns. I use the rudder for drift fishing and rough water conditions. If you paddle it with the rudder up it still tracks very well. It will hold a straight line for about 15 seconds or more after you quit paddling. That's a nice feature when trying to slip up on something and preparing to cast. The boat it also pretty loose with the rudder up and will turn in place much better due to a flatter bottom and softer chines.

Not having a center console gives you more storage up front. I can throw a few things down there and not worry about them getting wrapped up in my feet or legs. I usually keep a Pelican box and my anchor bag there.

You get a 16 foot kayak for about 55lbs. That's less than some 12 footers. The material is very strong and will hold up much better over oysters than rotomolded plastic. It scratches versus gouges another words. The top layer of plastic (the shiny stuff) is a UV inhibitor that gives the kayak a 20 year life span in the sun before it fades or degrades. Do not think that shiney means more breakable because the shiny later is only about as thick as your fingernail.

Brad Taylor, one of the guys at Hurricane, lost a Hurricane Kayak on I-40 one day and it flew into the opposite lane and hit a transfer truck. That kayak is part of Great Outdoor Provision's demo fleet and still hits the water. Nuff said...

I'll be back in Wilmington over Christmas if you'd like to try the 16 or 13. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I can pole this kayak...
Not quite as graceful-looking as the Ultimate guys, but impressive nonetheless. I haven't had the guts to try that in my Manta Ray yet...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I don't intend to try for the first time in water as shallow as it looked like he was in... I'd like a little more water above the oysters... :eek:

I've seen it done in Heritage Redfish yaks, which are similar ~30"-wide plastic sit-on-tops... That particular hull has a strong reputation for non-tippability... Chocoloskee Charters (sp?) uses Redfish for their mothership trips in the Everglades because they're so stable, they're easier to mount from the deck of a flats boat...

Although from Druminator's video, it seems that you could just step smartly and then just sit down...

·
Registered
884 Posts
The video doesn't seem very graceful but the wind was blowing hard. It was actually the same day we all went out and fished the oyster bar a few weeks ago. The wind was catching me and pushing me around a lot.

Smith, I'll do a review for the P160 and post it there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. Question: I fish the OBX a lot - looking at getting a boat and these Hurricane Boats have got my attention.... recomendation on either the 14 or the 16? - Stability - Dryness? is the 16 more tippy than the 14? Thanks!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello,bonedesign I wound up getting the hurricane santee 140t.which is the tandem sit in,the stabilty is great as for the dryness ,probably because I`m not the most efficient paddler in the world my legs tend to get wet,other than that the ride is dry.I`ve had it in the IWC in a pretty good wind and have not taken any water on from that.The front seat slides back to paddle solo. hope this helped ....mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info....

I fish the surf a lot - From surf-fishing off the beach to yaking out baits for the monster sharks and love to fish the sound for the doormats (flounder) and trout... Looking for a boat that is lite and is stable enough to get out past those nasty breakers. A lot of folk seem to like the 16' Phoniex.....anyone paddle the 14' Phoniex - is there any comparison anyone has demo'd either? I have searched the web... a lot on the 16' - Comments - suggestions - thoughts?

Thanks Again!!!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
....anyone paddle the 14' Phoniex - is there any comparison anyone has demo'd either? I have searched the web... a lot on the 16' - Comments - suggestions - thoughts?...
I'm pretty sure Druminator has. I think he currently owns the 13 and the 16. He mentioned in another thread that he was going to be out of town for some of this week, so he may not get a chance to reply for a few days, but stay tuned...

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm back in Jeff. Had to return to work today :(

The P140 has more initial stability than the P160. I've not done a surf launch in a long time, probably 3 years... My idea though is that the P140 would be a lot less boat to manage in the surf. The P160 is really loose and if you are not that experienced you may dump it a few times.

Surf launching takes some practice. Remember to time the waves by sets. If you've done a lot of surf fishing you've probably already learned that. The most important things to do when coming back in is to ride the back of the wave in. Let it pass you and then try to stay on it's back as you come in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 140 Phoenix. 700 is definitely a bargain price for a 160. I can’t attest to the cockpit of the 160P as it is a different layout then the 140. However I can tell you that I really like the 140, it isn’t sluggish on the water at all for SOT. It tracks well without the rudder down and turns without much effort. Basically its feels like it glides on the water more like a SINK than plowing through it like most SOTs. I have trying standing in it and while it is possible I don’t feel comfortable enough to stand while casting a fly off it. The venture scupper system works and keeps the cockpit pretty dry. And yeah it looks pretty and fragile but it isn’t…fragile I mean. There really hasn’t been anything that I have been disappointed in except that I haven’t had the guts and money to rig it the way I want, But I’m about to put a few holes in it to make it more fishing friendly. hope some of this helps. who's selling the yaks, if you dont buy them i might talk my dad in to it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rabidd099,I saw the 16`s on craigslist e-mailed the guy but never got a response either he sold them or didn`t want my money.I got a santee 140t sit in and love it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Gerry
First thing you need is "Kayak Angler" in your user profile :D. Ha ha ha... Click on User CP in the menu bar, then down low on the portfolio on the left, under "Miscellaneous", pick "Group memberships". This will add you to the Kayak Angler's Map (by zip code), and help you find some yak-fishing buds to hook up with.

NC Angler Fishing - Maps - NC Kayak Anglers and Canoeist Members

What else do you need? A paddle and a good PFD - hopefully you've got these squared away. If not, make sure you get a PFD that's designed for paddling. The others will not allow your arms the range of motion they'll need. Put a whistle on the PFD in case you need to get someone's attention over the sound of the surf.

Some leashes would be wise, to keep your rods and paddle from getting lost. "If you like it, leash it." You can pay $3 to $10 apiece for leashes, or you can pay $3 for a 50-foot spool of parachute cord at home depot. I chose the latter, and then added 50-cents apiece for some clips from my local outfitter, for the ends where I clip 'em to the yak. There are lots of ways to homebrew a leash.

If you're too anxious to wait for the water to warm up, you'll need to invest in some cold-water clothing. Drysuit's probably the most deluxe answer, but also the most costly. I consider waders AND a dry top the next best choice, but test your setup before you need it, to make sure that no water can get inside the waders. I use the dry top AND the PFD AND the wading belt AND the bungee at the top of the waders. A wetsuit is the other choice, but personally, I think that's better for other climates rather than NC. If you go into the water, it might keep you warm while you're swimming, but eventually you're gonna want to get back onto your boat, and then you'll be soaking wet in the cold air. If you can wait for warmer water, then you can save this for next season. Some folks advocate the 120-degree rule -- waiting 'til the water temp plus the air temp exceeds 120 degrees. You'd still have to use some judgment -- I wouldn't paddle without insulation in 90 degree air and 30 degree water.

There's lots and lots of goodies you can justify buying now that you've got a boat... A kayak is still a hole in the water to throw money into, it's just a smaller hole than typical. :D

Welcome to the Armada!!
lefty

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.