NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there who knows Hyco Lake in Person County? I'm trying to get on it sometime here in the cold weather to take advantage of that power-plant-heated water. The only thing I've found online for access is a managed boat launch with a $15 fee. Kinda steep for a kayaker, IMHO... Are there any non-ramp launches available or is it truly a controlled access lake?

Appreciate any info!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
North of NC 57, east of NC 119, south of NC 699, west of US 501.
Up near the Virginia border in the central part of the state.

Here's a GoogleEarth placemark -- detach the file, remove the ".txt" from the filename, then double-click and GoogleEarth ought to fly you right there. (At least, if it works on my machine...)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Lefty, what exactly do I do with this hunk of xml?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">
<Placemark>
<name>Hyco Lake</name>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-79.0829263649794</longitude>
<latitude>36.4734137640214</latitude>
<range>24795.43393637589</range>
<tilt>3.177254193155125e-011</tilt>
<heading>0.01056194662641137</heading>
</LookAt>
<styleUrl>root://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317</styleUrl>
<Point>
<coordinates>-79.07793403539621,36.49398409023118,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</kml>

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Y'know, I havent tried putting it back into GoogleEarth, but that's where it came from. Sheesh, you testers!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Here's a GoogleEarth placemark
Is that better, JeffO? Can we close the defect? :rolleyes:
What's the ODC closing code for "Developer had hoped he wasn't working at the time." ?

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, never got my Google Earth certification - first placemark I've ever seen. I've looked at the spinning globe and zoomed into a few places but I'm pretty much a 2-D map person. Your instructions do work. I found that you can also paste the lat, long coordinates into a Google Maps web search - "36.4734137640214, -79.0829263649794" - that's more my style. Even old guys can learn something by asking dumb questions.

Next challenge is to figure out how to pull coords out of google maps and punch them into my GPS . Don't know what difference it will make in my life but it seems like the kind of mastery a man should have over his equipment. (though it looks like that isn't possible yet, I'm pretty sure there's a Google web service to convert addresses to coordinates). After I conquer coordinates I'll start working on that constantly blinking 12:00 on the vcr - you'd think after 10 years it would just give up.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jeff,
Also check out Belews Lake above Greensboro. It has coal power plant heated water. I cross an arm of the lake on my way to Hanging Rock State Park and see lots of trailers parked at the wildlife ramp. A Google search (paddletrips belews lake) should take you to a very good report by someone who claims to be on that "pond " every weekend year round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rockfish45 mentioned Belews Lake. Lots of good bass fishing there. Just be sure
to release what you catch. Most fish seem to have some sort of sores. Be way to
fish is to find a creek with water flowing into the lake. Senko's are probably the lure
of choice for most guys.
Paintmaster

·
Registered
11 Posts
This may be a little late, but I just joined the board today. Hyco has only the one boat launch you had spoke of in your first post. This link Welcome to HycoLake.com - Hyco Lake, Semora, NC
has the info you had also talked about with the $15 fee and a link to a Marina. I don't know what you're trying to put in the lake but the marina has several docks they to sell fuel from and they may be able o help you out if your watercraft is like a John Boat or something that you could put in by hand.

BigPapa had also mentioned Mayo Lake. This link Mayo Park
will give you all you need to know about Mayo. It's less populated during the warmer months because the landowners around the lake can't have Boathouses and Docks. It's more fisherman friendly to because there's no charge to put your boat in. Unless it rains the water is crystal clear. The coves have started filling up with hydrila though.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
mtbrandon
JeffO and I have been talking with a few folks about taking our kayaks up to Hyco. We're hoping that the power plant discharge makes it a bit more comfortable (rhymes with "safe" when you're in a kayak) in these winter months.

Know anything about how the fish behave up there this time of year?
Lefty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lefty,

NC HWY 57 crosses Hyco three times. The first time it crosses is just past Woodland Elementary School traveling from Roxboro headed North to Virginia. This section usually has the least amount of boat traffic and I've never had a whole lot of luck there with anything but catfish. If you're paddling a kayak, unless you find somebody to let you put in over there, it's way to far to paddle.

The section where NC 57 crosses the second time has a little more traffic, but mostly jet ski's and skier's. Same as I said above about the paddling, way to far to paddle.

The third section, which is the section where the boat landing is located and the Marina is full this time of year with people Crappie fishing. I see a lot of people on boats casting back to the earth berm that NC 57 crosses the lake on. They also fish around the docks at the Marina, which looks to be about a quarter of a mile away. I haven't seen or heard of anything "BIG" coming out of there, but I've heard of some good numbers being pulled out on Minnows. The second and third crossings must be where the warm water is pumped back in, because on cold mornings the steam off of the water is thick where NC 57 crosses these two sections.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.