NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught bout 3 dozen crappie with 20 eaters, biggun was 13 inches, had half dozen LMB, all dinks, one big whitebass. Bobby Garland baby shad was the best bait, caught fish off docks, laydowns, brush an rock piles. didn't find any concentrations, very scattered. Water temp was 49 at dock 59 at Hot Hole. Very nice day to get out on the water!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Thanks for the report Keith! I'll be headed that way in the next few days ....... hope the get piled up before then:D

Reactions: RaymondWells

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If you have any secrets you would like to share about winter bass fishing in Hyco feel free to send me a message :) I need all the help I can get ...

*chirp, chirp..is that crickets I hear? *chirp...

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
If you have any secrets you would like to share about winter bass fishing in Hyco feel free to send me a message :) I need all the help I can get ...

*chirp, chirp..is that crickets I hear? *chirp...
Not much of a tip Brent, but from watching the tournament guys in winter(lake is closed to tournaments during warmer weather) there are as many or more good fish caught away from the warm water as in it. You will see a few boats in the warm water but most tend to follow normal winter patterns "upstream" of the discharge.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my best bass catch at Hyco was 5 @ 38 lbs! had a 10lb 10oz lunker that day. thats the 3rd one over 10 I've caught from Hyco. I've caught a lot of 7-8 lbers there. My secret is trollin Live Bait! those big girls down there know the catalog number of every plug you've got! BigHow, we didn't do any good in the discharge area, an thats where we usually find them bunched up this time of yr, but not yet!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
thanks for the info, cant use live baits in the tourneys or troll but I have some "ideas" :) I was already thinking about not going straight for the hot hole.. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sundrop, I fish a few tourneys myself. I've won a few that I found my fish by trollin live bait. pretty sure there ain't any rules limitin how ya fish outside the contest. I've found concentrations of bass that would not react to artificals as readily as live bait. but at least I had a place too concentrate my efforts on tournamenrt day! and papadave is correct, all the contests there are not won in the hot part. I've found a lot of schools of bass there out in relatively open water, just chasin bait, I suppose. I can catch these fish when I find them usin jigs an the count-down method.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
For that particular scenario, when you say "jigs" what type of jigs are you talking about. Sounds similar to what's been going on at Belews lately, in the open water around the discharge area but more out in the main lake. Do you have a favorite bait for that type of situation?

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the input. I need to work on that count-down technique some more. Just trying to become a little more versatile, and it seems like Belews fishes a lot like Hyco by the sound of it. Appreciate it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.