NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't stand this warm weather any longer so I took off from work today and drove the kayak up to Hyco early this morning. Road trip was 63 miles from my house in N. Raleigh (through Durham, up to Roxboro on 501 then 10 miles on 57).

Talked to the guys at the Lake Patrol station who suggested heading down the canal toward one of the hot water discharges. The canal is in the 3rd cove heading west (upstream) from the boat launch and is no wake all the way through - approx 1/2 mile. Both sides lined with overhanging brush, some of it in the water. Lost my first fish on a large jerk bait at the opening of the canal. Caught first fish on a small firetiger shad rap about 50 yards in. Saw a lone fish chasing bait ahead but gone by the time I got there. From there I could see the end of the canal where there was a huge topwater feeding frenzy going on - lasted at least 2 mins, which was how long it took me to get there. All done by the time I got up to them. Paddled under 57 and up to the discharge where I caught a fish on texas rigged senko, baby bass colr.

Found lots of fish at the canal end on my paddle back - caught 3 or 4 more skinny ones like below on a small yo-zuri jerkbait.

Great day, great water, got to explore a new place and caught some fish. Just what the Dr ordered...

If & when I go back, I'll probably concentrate on that canal area. I didn't really go into the backs of any creeks, which is something else I would do this time of year.

PS: "hot water discharge" - fiction as far as I could tell. Felt cold to the touch, just like at the ramp. I guess I'll have to take Lefty and his new fishfinder back up there to know for sure...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You had more fun fishing than I had at work. Who'd have guessed....

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spectrum - glad you asked. Here's my introductionto this generation of ocean-capable fishing kayaks:

The sit-on-top fishing kayaks are wider and have a lower center of gravity than what you would normally think of as kayaks. Mine is 30" wide with very flat cockpit floor. It is stable enough for me to stand in, but I have a very high personal center of gravity so I can't do too much when standing. Folks in the gulf bays actually stand and pole around while sight fishing (they must be smaller folks with lower centers of personal gravity...). I have *almost* no fear of rolling. You always have to have some fear, or you'll get yourself into unexpected trouble. I have not been on the open ocean, but have been in Snows Cut and behind Topsail on the intercoastal and frequently mix it up in the open water on Falls & Jordan - handles wakes of all sizes without problem. From what I hear, surf launches are the hardest things you'll face.

I paddle, which is what most folks do. Next most popular are the Hobie pedal drives, which allow for 2 handed fishing, but are pretty pricey. I have heard of folks mounting trolling motors but haven't ever seen one. Kayaks paddle nicer than a canoe, they have a lower freeboard than a canoe (less subject to the wind), offer lots of accessory mounting options for things like like rod holders and fishfinders, and they are self-bailing (high-tech term for "drain holes in the bottom").

I sold my 16', 75hp Fisher last summer and switched to the Kayak. Wanted to unchain myself from the same lake, same fish syndrome - haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jeff,

What kayak do you have?

Kelley

Spectrum - glad you asked. Here's my introductionto this generation of ocean-capable fishing kayaks:

The sit-on-top fishing kayaks are wider and have a lower center of gravity than what you would normally think of as kayaks. Mine is 30" wide with very flat cockpit floor. It is stable enough for me to stand in, but I have a very high personal center of gravity so I can't do too much when standing. Folks in the gulf bays actually stand and pole around while sight fishing (they must be smaller folks with lower centers of personal gravity...). I have *almost* no fear of rolling. You always have to have some fear, or you'll get yourself into unexpected trouble. I have not been on the open ocean, but have been in Snows Cut and behind Topsail on the intercoastal and frequently mix it up in the open water on Falls & Jordan - handles wakes of all sizes without problem. From what I hear, surf launches are the hardest things you'll face.

I paddle, which is what most folks do. Next most popular are the Hobie pedal drives, which allow for 2 handed fishing, but are pretty pricey. I have heard of folks mounting trolling motors but haven't ever seen one. Kayaks paddle nicer than a canoe, they have a lower freeboard than a canoe (less subject to the wind), offer lots of accessory mounting options for things like like rod holders and fishfinders, and they are self-bailing (high-tech term for "drain holes in the bottom").

I sold my 16', 75hp Fisher last summer and switched to the Kayak. Wanted to unchain myself from the same lake, same fish syndrome - haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't want to through water on the fire but that canal is no a fishing zone as well as no wake. I was up at Hyco this weekend and verified that. Caught a 6.7 lb bass in one of the pockets in the area after the canal near the bridge. Also the areas under the bridges are no wake and no fishing as well. most of the guys in the club caught limits. 19lbs won the club tournament.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Berger, If that's the law then we need to know about it... I can confirm the posted no fishing under the low hwy 57 bridge that crossed the main lake finger. I saw no wake but didn't see anything about no fishing in the canal (doesn't mean that it wasn't there and wouldn't be the first time I missed the obvious... my wife will vouch for that). Also saw several other boats fishing their way through the canal which really, really doesn't mean that it wasn't posted. What are the chances that the canal is only a seasonal no-fishing zone and they post the signs on St Patricks day each year? (I'll answer that myself - slim & none...).

I could definitely see the canal being classified as a no-fishing zone if it carried a lot of traffic. Not an issue on a Wednesday in march, but the whole lake must be a high traffic area on summer weekends. If I get back up that way I'll revisit the lake patrol office for some clarification and pay a little more attention to the signs, maybe even take a pic for posterity's sake.

Congrats on the 6.7!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.