NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to check and possibly replace the livewell valve activation cables and as of now I can't see them to well. My question is what is the best cleaner can I use to to clean all this mess? I had thought Greased Lightning might be good but wondering if that stuff might harm components in the bilge? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
First try Dawn, put your plug in, fill the bilge with water and then drive around for 20-30 minutes. The sloshing around should clean it up fairly well. Might have to do it more than once depending on how bad it is to start with.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First try Dawn, put your plug in, fill the bilge with water and then drive around for 20-30 minutes. The sloshing around should clean it up fairly well. Might have to do it more than once depending on how bad it is to start with.
That'll work for sure. Except this stuff is Bad. This stuff is Bad, I spent some time scooping the sludge from the bilge. I poured a 1/2 gal Simple Green into the bilge let that set and soak for an hour and with my pressure washer a very gentle spray jet went over the bilge area. Had to do that twice. Think I may dump a quart of Simple Green or a bottle of Dawn, as some suggested into the bilge area before heading next trip to the lake then draining just before getting there. Thanks NCTribute for the info.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spent a couple hours scooping out the bilge by hand as much as possible then replaced the drain plug, added 1/2 gallon of Dawn to the bilge hooked up the boat and headed down the road for almost an hour. I returned to the garage removed the drain plug to find a good 85-90% the goop is gone. I recieved the livewell control valve toggle lever now to receive the control cable for the livewell and installing it and I'll head straight to the lake, which one who knows?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts