NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything I need to know about going to a hocky game?

Taking my boy to the FireAntz game tomorrow night and I've never been to a hocky event... I'm assuming dress for it cause it's probably cold in there.. anything I need to know?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Remeber to dress warm as it will aced in there. Take lots of money as stuff is very expensive (but the funnel cakes are GREAT). And most important is to have a good time. Not sure if they still do the one chant after a goal of "He shoots, he scores, hey goalie you SUCK!" but try to get involved in the atmosphere, you will enjoy it a whole lot more.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx!! any bit helps. Is it cold enough for gloves? or just leave gloves at home?

Funnel cakes ey?? I'm a sucker for those... might have to take a couple extra bucks.

Thanx Coach!! :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
last game I went to was nowhere near cold enough for hat and gloves. A sweatshirt was plenty, but of course, your mileage may vary. I also was way up in the cheap seats; if you're closer to that cold ice, and have less "heat rises" distance under you, it might be colder.

Don't mess with binoculars -- the action is WAY too fast for 'em. If the teams are on, you'll be shocked at how well the players can anticipate that puck, moving so fast. At least I was, at the 'Canes game a few weeks ago.
If you can, take someone with you who can explain "icing" and "offsides". They're hard to explain unless you can point. If you understand offsides in soccer, you've got a headstart - the concept is the same, but the details are different.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It'll prolly be somewhere around 60 degrees if I remember correct.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Allow me to volunteer as the site resident hockey expert. I played for over 30 years (including NCAA and semi pro), coached and even officiated in the minor leagues.

Fire Ants? Fayetteville right?

I used to work games there but the team had a different name. The building will be 62 degrees, cozy.

When your team scores, the appropriate chant is (first you find out the other team's goalie name, lets just say Willy for ease..) Willy.....Willy..... Willy....... YOU SUCK!

Not original, but I think it is required at all minor league hockey games! LOL

Also, one thing most people will not know.. when you scream at players or officials keep two things in mind. First and foremost, there are KIDS around you so do not ruin the experience for them by using vulgar language.

Second, as much as this is hard to believe, during play the players and officials will not hear you. They are all too focused on what they are doing.

As someone who officiated in that building, I can tell you that I did hear a LOT between play and after a game including one time we needed State Trooper protection to leave the parking lot (the ref was brutal. i was a linesman and could not believe how bad he was).

There are some great fans in Fayetteville (which if the fire ants play somewhere else this post is a waste LOL) I remember one fan who was at every game there. He sat just above and to the left of the Zamboni entrance and he gave it to us good every night.... he was very original, funny and mean all at the same time.

One day I was a linesman for a game that the home team was losing. After the second period was over and we were heading to the dressing room, I flipped his kid a puck. He replied "Hey Anderson! Thanks for the puck... but you still Suck!" I laughed with him on that one.

Anyway, enjoy the game! Cheer for the home team. Boo the refs and the other team. Hockey is in my opinion the greatest game on earth and it is 1000 times better in person than on tv (even minor leagues).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just saw the post above...

Offsides is when an attacking player crosses the opposing blue line before the puck does. Result is a whistle and a face off at the blue line face off dot on the side of the ice where the infraction occured.

Icing is when the defending team shoots the puck from their half of the ice (behind the center ice red line) all the way across the opposing team's goal line without it being touched by anyone or anyone has the chance to touch it and just chooses not to. Result is a whistle and a face off in the offending teams defensive zone.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Also, one thing most people will not know.. when you scream at players or officials keep two things in mind. First and foremost, there are KIDS around you so do not ruin the experience for them by using vulgar language.
<chuckle> I'm reminded of my first hockey game -- Raleigh Ice Caps, at Dorton Arena, for those as old as I am...

They introduced the refs and the guy behind me starts screaming "three blind mice"... I commented that he'd obviously never officiated even as much as a tic-tac-toe match...

I called some intramural volleyball games in college - I don't care which sport it is, if you're officiating a "serious" game, it's a TOUGH JOB.

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Oh yeah, one other thing, Dave...

They only play three quarters. Apparently on purpose. :D

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.. sure sounds like it's gonna be an experience... I knew there was more to it than just showin up to watch...

I dont think I like the idea of teachin my son to chant the "you suck" part.. so we probably wont do that.

This experience is to fill one of his blocks for Cub Scouts.. (has to attend a sports game)

Mucho thanx guys!! Dress warm, get to eat well, watch guys play hard and beat the crap out of each other and try to remain neutral and enjoy...

:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have twin boys (turn 7 next month) and I have been taking them to hockey games since they were two.

It is amazing how much "you suck" sounds like "good luck" to a kid ;)

To this day, they yell "good luck"

·
Registered
840 Posts
Along the lines of keeping it clean because of the kids, you will probably see (maybe not as much at the minor level as opposed to the NHL level) but some opposing team fans can be a bit "impaired" and may run off a the mouth. I would use this as a teaching experience for any young chirrens you may have with you as how NOT to behave.

Also, my attire; I typically wear my jersey with a turtle neck. If I get a bit chilled, it ain't nothing a $5 cup of hot chocolate can't take away. :eek:

Dave, Hockey is a really fun sport to attend in person. Don't get discouraged if you can't follow the puck at first. It took me about a month of watching it on TV and in person before I was finally able to watch it.

Also, If you like them Fire Antz, you need to come see the Hurricanes take on the Buffalo Sabres, or the NJ Devils. Those games are very rarely dull. I have been a fan of Hockey since the early 90's and went to almost every Raleigh Ice Caps game.

Before you head out to the game, do a little rules research and learn the basics. I hope you have a great time!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx again guys. I think we'll have a good time, if not hopefully a good experience.

I like that Squid!! Good luck is definately much better... I'm assuming here,, Hocky fans can be, lack of a better word... Energetic??!!

I'm looking forward to it... just dont know what to expect.. but we'll be rootin for the FireAntz!

Yup, Crown Colesium this weekend in Fayetteville. I've been there for a Skynyrd/Peter Frampton Concert, so I know it's not a huge arena, seats from what the tickets say, look to be good ones... should be fun :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
They are referred to as "periods" not quarters. With an "intermission"between periods. Three periods, two intermissions, if tied at end of regulation, overtime period until someone scores.

Its minor league, so you may expect a fight or two.

If a player scores three goals, its called a "hat trick" and it is then proper etiquette to throw YOUR headpiece onto the rink.

It should be fun.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i think i was five at my first game- leafs and sabres- but i got to amitt the canes are fun to watch...and if i had the money i would be a season ticket holder..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'll tell ya. I never got into sports, if it didnt burn gas, wear a bikini, or make a drag scream I didnt care.. I went to a "Canes game with some friends a few years ago and I was HOOKED!! I still dont care to watch much on TV but I do love to go to the games.... figures, since I now live 2 hrs away and used to be 30 minutes away...LOL!!! GO CANES!!!
I'm sure those guys wont have all the jumbotron ear crushing rock n show but you'll enjoy it anyway!!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Guys!! Thanx all for the heads up assistance!!!!

Had a great time tonight.. and now I "understand" how the "you suck" part works.. heard it a few times tonight.

3 fights (one was pretty good - they squared off at in the center)... Was able to explain that pretty easily to the boy that they get penalized for that... but seems like the crowd went nuts when the fight(s) break out and the ref's were in no hurry to break it up either...

Anyway... we did the wave, ate some popcorn (never did see the funnel cakes) and had seats where we could see everything (pretty close to nose bleed) and we probably over dressed a little... hahaha ha...

The boy slept all the way home.

So thanx again for all the "what to expect". Was a good experience, though I'm not really into the hocky thing, but was fun and would go again.

Man, them Fayetteville FireAntz didnt take squat... they went 3 and 0 in the fisticuffs... And you could tell how lively some spectators got the more beer they got in them, but for the most part everyone was well behaved.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lot's of kids there Greg for sure, and I'm talkin about the sippy cup crowd! I could've took my littlest, but he's got the attention span of a knat! he'd of been all over the areana after about 10 minutes of trying to keep him in a seat, the lap, the seat the lap... ect... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.