NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Yeah buddy! Awesome job. Have to admit, I'm kinda jealous, I'm stuck at work for 12 hours today. Glad to see you had a good day.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
If you don't mind sharing a little knowledge, when you fish topwater, do you cast at the grasslines or cast parallel to them? How deep was the water where they were found?
I've had them coming directly off, and one mostly parallel. Just my 2c, take for what's it worth with my 3 red drum experience level, but all three were on topwater.

Reactions: Swampin'

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'm guilty of trying to multitask too much. I tend to throw baits that a flounder or a drum will bite. So I never throw topwater as much as I want. I haven't caught a drum on top since I went out with Pierman. I have had a few blow ups though.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think tonight would be a great time to go. The water will be, I think, about a foot higher than the am tide. Full moon means lots of light too!
I don't remember catching a drum on top in the night hours so let us know what happens. Maybe someone with more experience can share their nighttime topwater knowledge.
I hesitate to answer "technique" questions because I haven't played this game but for three seasons and my fish to fishing trips ratio is in the dumper. This season especially has been torture for me so far. Here is what I tend to do but take it for what it's worth. Remember, you get what you pay for. .
I like to stand on the grass islands as opposed to sit and fish. Many of the islands I stand on allow me to walk to at least a few good casting spots. If I don't get any attention in 15-20 minutes I move. I like casting near the banks of these islands IF the drop off where the water meets the islands is sharp to the point that at an average low tide will still have water up against the bank. I also like casting parallel to these banks and working the plug close to the bank on the retrieve when possible. A lot of times this isn't an option due to wind. I think the island banks and the submerged oyster beds are the best spots to target. Needless to say I will look for signs of drum while I'm paddling and I'll cast if I see something interesting. These last few fish were caught close to the bank as well as off the bank on oysters where, I guess, they were foraging in water 3' deep and less. I have to think that if I was fishing a popping cork and shrimp I'd have had a fish almost every cast. The fish I've run across lately aren't exactly inhaling the bait. One I kept today hit it three times before getting hooked and there have been lots of blow ups and pushes. Most of the pushes ended with the fish swimming off. One blow up today was a fish smashing the plug with its tail twice and leaving. It was really fun watching that happen.
The big concern where I'm getting these is oysters. They are everywhere and the fish seem to know that rubbing the bait against oysters can set them free.
Mainly all I can be sure of is that the fish are where they are when I happen to be there. I'm getting a little action lately but not because I know anything others don't. If I could find these drum when the topwater bite abruptly stops like it has done the last few days perhaps I'd call myself something other than lucky.
Good luck.
BTW - I missed taking a photo of a real pretty drum today. I had it next to the kayak and was moving the line so I could get a decent shot. I was resting on some grass but the water was about 2' deep. The hook came out and it was head down and gone in a half second. It was probably only 20-21" but had a lot of spots on it. More than any I've caught thus far. I always like seeing these dalmatian drum.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same time today with great weather and only got one short drum. They didn't hang around very long. Tried a lot of other spots but nothing happening. Water Terrestrial plant Grass Plant Grass family

This drum had only one spot on the other side.???

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.