NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to Saeview Pier today. I got there early-4:30am.( I couldn't sleep, must've been excited...sad ain't it??..LOL)
Grabbed a bag of finger mullet and a bag of sandfleas and a cup of coffee with hopes of tasty flounder and pompano... already had some fresh shrimp... I was loaded for BEAR!!! LOL
Grabbed a spot 50ft behind the breakers since tide was still going out.
Baited up one rig with shrimp/crab and one with mullet. Then decided to go ahead and jig a chartruse Gotcha around the pylons..
I made it about 4 ft and a reel started bouncing... Blue,15 inches.
This set the course of the day until 10:30am. I move around a few times but all I
caught was Blues from 6 inches to 21 inches on shrimp,mullet,bluefish,pogies,Diamond jigs,Gotcha plugs and even caught 2 at once on my Sabiki rig I was trying to catch some of the MANY schools of baitfish that were EVERYWHERE!! I did get one little flounder and a small shark (1ft) and some pogies and a croaker.
BUT no one anywhere around or anywhere I asked caught a single Spanish, nothing but blues and one King was taken I think around 9:30"ish".
Blues of all sizes were hitting most anywhere you wanted to throw bait but it was in spurts.
I had not considered the mud slicks from run-off of the recent rains down east and it caused alot of problems getting the fish to come in. Wind was MUCH worse than forecasted and water was rough.
I caught one "Chopper" that headed straight under the pier after he tail-walked for me, and I couldnt turn him around so he cut me off.
I saw a few tiny flounder and one MONSTER 3lb 1 oz Pompano a lady caught beside me on "Fishbites" cut bait of all things??
I talked to alot of the "regulars" and they say when the mud is on the move your best to stay home.
I had fun with the Blues. It died like you hit a switch at 10:30am on the incoming tide and I stayed until 4:30 but I had a 2 hr drive home and with 2 hrs sleep last night I was BEAT!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Sundrop, sounds like a pretty good day to me. Those blues can make a boring day exciting for a while. I'm beginning to wonder where the Spanish are myself. I caught maybe 10, the whole 2 1/2 weeks I was there. A couple of decent sized ones, but mostly, barely legal.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sometimes you get all worked up just to catch the blues and sometimes when you think you are just wasting time....Bingo! You can go all of the "good days" and be there with the right stuff and Nada... and then sometimes the good days are good . It really does have more to do with weather than folks tend to give credit for. In the summer I like to start off plugging and then when the sun brightens up and the spanish & blues stop it is usually pompano time...and then sheephead time or at least take a look see and then decide on when to eat. Usually after lunch one thing will stand out to be the best thing to be doing and it may be napping

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seaview pier is in Topsail Beach/Sneads Ferry... Nice pier. The longest in NC. And less traffic that Bogue Inlet pier because there are others fairly near by.

Reactions: kayakingglenn

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Seaview pier is in Topsail Beach/Sneads Ferry... Nice pier. The longest in NC. And less traffic that Bogue Inlet pier because there are others fairly near by.
Not to be picky but Seaview is in North Topsail Beach, which is across from Sneads Ferry (more or less). Big difference from Topsail Beach which is 15 miles south on the other end of the Island, with Surf City in between.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to be picky but Seaview is in North Topsail Beach, which is across from Sneads Ferry (more or less). Big difference from Topsail Beach which is 15 miles south on the other end of the Island, with Surf City in between.
OK, didn't think it made any difference..if it's so far north I wonder why it wasn't named something else? LOL...

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
OK, didn't think it made any difference..if it's so far north I wonder why it wasn't named something else? LOL...
When I was growing up here - it was called West Onslow Beach. But when they incorporated they went with the North Topsail Beach name. I guess cause it's on Topsail Island, they wanted Topsail in the name and Topsail Beach was already taken and they wanted beach in the name cause there is a Topsail township on the mainland......... So thus North Topsail Beach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.