NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Jigs and minnows, sometimes the jig works best and other times it the minnow or others...minnow on the jig. Work deeper water around ledges or vertical structure like trees or bridge pilings.
Good advise right there. The only thing I can add is Ive always done well with a slip float rig and a live minnow. Just enough weight to get the minnow down. Watch for "lift bites" where the float will just lay suddenly sideways on the surface. On windy days cast past your target then dip your rod tip in the water and reel slowly to target to submerge your line a little so the wind wont drag it. Thill makes a variety of floats for about any situation. I use a line thru float usually but a type that the line threads through a hole in the bottom on windy days. Just a couple of tips Ive learned over the years that I thought might help you out.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
My personal regulations are "over 10" or back again" I limit what I know I will eat preferably w/o freezing plus a few for my parents. Occasionally if I really get on a hot trip I will add a good meals worth for the freezer. I cant say I haven't kept a few 8-10 inchers when its slow just so I have food to show for my efforts. But I try to keep them alive so I can cull when it gets better.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have had good luck in the winter when I fished in a boat in deep water where I could fish straight down. That allowed me to let the line slip down between my thumb and index finger and feel those very light taps on the fall.

·
Registered
229 Posts
it all depends on where you fish, down east in rivers and creeks spider rigging with telescopic poles fish live minows in deep curves on the drops and submerged structure from 10-14 ft works for my dad and I.still learning lakes since i moved up here.jigs works sometimes as well

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Good advise right there. The only thing I can add is Ive always done well with a slip float rig and a live minnow. Just enough weight to get the minnow down. Watch for "lift bites" where the float will just lay suddenly sideways on the surface. On windy days cast past your target then dip your rod tip in the water and reel slowly to target to submerge your line a little so the wind wont drag it. Thill makes a variety of floats for about any situation. I use a line thru float usually but a type that the line threads through a hole in the bottom on windy days. Just a couple of tips Ive learned over the years that I thought might help you out.
my slip floats don't really sit up in the water like my weighed ones do. Wonder if they have a weighted slip float to help it sit up better. Sometimes it just lays flat but most of tim at an angle when it stands up I know I have a bite

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would really like to see a 10 inch minimum on all lakes. Maybe even 12. An 8 inch crappie doesn't have a lot of meat on it. I am not smart enough to know the consequences of this idea, so don't flame me for it. Meaning would it lead to too many small fish, or something like that. I know my length limit is at least 10 inches, or they go back in the lake.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.