NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to have a Seaark Protege or a G3 Sportsman 200 but I also am interested in building (clarification - buy a boat, not hand build from raw materials) my own boat for my own needs. I am looking for a jon boat style - no fiberglass - boat with minimal plastic parts and the steering/passenger consoles as far forward as possible. Small front deck for trolling motor and one person. Ideally, the back end is wide open for wide range of movement, gear and fishing with multiple people. Preferably a high gunnel about knee height.

Boat would be 18 to 20ft in length and engine will be determined later.

Any ideas on a brand or styles out there that might suit this need?
Handwriting Font Rectangle Parallel Schematic

·
Registered
130 Posts
What material are you planning to build from? Unless you can mold, shape, fit and weld aluminum I believe your only choice would be wood...which requires fiberglassing. Working with fiberglass isn't difficult particularly, just need to understand the basics, get good materials, particularly epoxy which is dang expensive, marine grade plywood, which is dang expensive too, and learn how to do it. With marine grade plywood, epoxy, fiberglass, flotation foam, etc. you could tie up considerable expense in building a boat that size, and a boat that size made of wood and glass will be heavy comparatively speaking, and with a motor, requires some considerable paperwork to get titled and licensed.

However, you would have the pride and satisfaction of having and using a boat you built yourself.

Considering the price of aluminum boats these days, it would make sense, financially speaking, to start with an aluminum Jon boat of the size you want then build the interior how you want it.

I've built several small boats; a little Pirogue, and two sea kayaks, one a stitch and glue plywood and the other a strip built. Often thought of building something bigger and looked at plans the last few years, and seriously considered building a little skiff. Ended up buying myself a little 15'4" Gheenoe instead and I'm happy.

I've perused this site which has some interesting plans (the place I looked at the skiffs) and they have some materials too. https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/

Here is a site with wooden boat plans, specifically Jon boats, and has a video of an aluminum build too. https://www.triumphboats.com/diy-jon-boat/

This place has some DIY kits for tricking out the interior of Jon boats. https://tbnation.net/collections/shop

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigtrout,

Oh I need to clarify that I mean start with a jon boat and build it from there. I realize my mistake, I don't have the time nor the skill. I essentially mean I don't really want a production boat as much as I want to decide where things go they way I want them.

Thank you so much for the ideas and links!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts