1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes those lures are great. the baby one minus is one i will tell you to get. the other two where there are many variations of them and they are effective also. the baby one minus is actually been effective for me year round but especially this time of year this month is usually the month for top water and has a good bite and the one minus is close enough to the top and not to deep for the bass and universally under many conditions is very effective. now the lizard well as far as brand thats a matter of preference but like a i said many to chose from so you do what you want. but they are also good considering that salamander is a bass pest and **** to the nest so you will get fish on that i know i do. and for the rapala also an effective lure especially if you you have access to a lake that has sometype of grass or hydrylla that you can "rip" the lure through to cause a reaction strike. but overall these 3 lures would be in my top 15 if i had to chose.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Looks like we need to make some additions to the reviews page...

I pretty much agree with Sportsman126

Love the baby 1-minus. Definitely recommend. Have not used the full-size 1-minus. Its not so much bigger that it should make much difference.

The rattlin raps are fine - one of at least a dozen different brands of lipless rattling crankbaits. I definitely like their hooks better than the ones that come on "the original Rat-l-traps". Dick's will sometimes put them on sale in the $2 range but the colors are limited. BPS has the whole range. At that price, go for it.

I like the idea of the 3x, both for durability and for their ability to float. The downside that I've found is that they get sticky after being wet for a while and the appendages start to stick to themselves - the tail gets stuck around the hook or stuck to the legs, legs stuck to the body, etc... I like the Zulus in the 3X plastic - no appendages - fish them topwater or behind a Carolina Rig. For lizards, I prefer regular plastics like zoom.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've had both stripers and white's hit off of the Mann's baby 1-minus, on Bass Pro Shops they show it as # 91, and on the 1-minus in silver, numbered 84. These hit quite regularly. Matter of fact, last week the Gander Mountain in Mooresville had loads of Mann's baits on sale, I got my baby 1-minus for $1.99 from them.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I just bought the 1-minus baby, is there any special way as to reel in this lure?
Easiest kind in the world - just chuck & wind. Keep it on the fast side to elicit the reaction bite. more casts = more fish.

Compared to other cranks you can throw this one into some pretty nasty stuff due to the shallow running depth, the shape of the body and the small lip. Get it in under some overhangs and over top of emerging weeds or snake it through some stickups and along shallow lay-downs.

In open water use it on feeding flats and shallow ends of ponds for scattered fish. Throw it past a surface feeding schools and rip it back through as fast as you can.

In moving water find shallow flats 1-2' deep and fan cast the whole area, bouncing off rocks. Throw above rocks and pull down into the eddies, looking for a reaction bite.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wells as far as presentation that all depends on the time of year time of day and activity of the fish lol so yeah its pretty broad but in general what i like about the one minus is that the depth it dives it actually can do well on a steady retrieve because the water column its in but you need to let the fish tell you what they want. as with any lure id start out working fast and gradually go slower and try different retrieval techniques such as stop and go and so on. and instead of going in depth on all the retieves the times and why and when ill tell you this. i would go to The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide® - The most respected bass fishing site on the Web. and they have alot of articles about different styles of bass fishing, lures, bass, times of year and all kinds of stuff. but just look under crankbait section to learn more about retrieves and why and what makes the fish tick or you can go to the spring and summer time fishing section to find out information on exactly what you want to use. overall its a great site on information and i can honestly say i have won some tournaments based off of what i have read in that site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.