NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all...I've come home to roost with hopes for years of fishing the western NC lakes. Bought a little cabin on Santeetlah, expecting weekends of fresh fish for supper. Still eat'n beans and burgers.:( I'll be readin to try to find out every little helpful hint to how to fish, when to fish, what to fish with, and hopefully, someday I can have fresh fish for supper. I'm already going to go out and get me a rapala, sketter pop and a smithwick:rolleyes: If you come to Santeetlah, you'll see me riding the bank at sun up and sundown. Wish me luck

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Still eat'n beans and burgers.:(
Better than the sticks I've learned to munch on.... :D Somewhere up here is a picture of me and my hamburger... can't find it for some reason, just lots of pictures of me and sticks. (AND THAT CATFISH, HAH!!)

Hang in there!
Lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Lefty - just make sure you DON'T bring any banana's with you when we fish at the end of the month. Banana's are bad luck on boats and are FORBIDDEN on mine. 'Course down here you probably won't catch too many sticks....maybe an oyster rock or two though... :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
No 'Nanas, got it. I'll be sure to bring some oyster hooks. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
tuck, c'mon, santeelah isn't that hard to fish in the spring and summer. just remember that most of the lakes up here are dammed up trout streams. most of the food in a trout stream comes off the banks. ( see the pattern here;) ) smallies aren't that crazy about not having places to ambush prey, so you won't find many on the barren banks. I have found that the downed trees around the island ( if you are familiar with them) and the rocks are the best places to fish. I have also found that as soon as the sun gets overhead they scoot to deeper water. that might mean 75-100 feet on santeelah. after the sun goes down, find you a bridge or another piece of structure and turn on a crappie light and watch the walleyes appear. the usually invite smallmouths and the occasional trout, depending on how close you are to the creeks. if you need further tutoring, i am available, for a fee:p (jk)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hv-tuck

Thanks for the advice...caught my first five (actually I caught two and my wife caught 3:mad: , but it gave us faith again. We went out in the am about 6:30, just when it was beginning to get light and then back out at about 7pm, just before it got dark. I tried to go out after dark one night and it really made me nervous not being able to see where I was going. Yea, I did have a spot light, but unfortunately I have a degree of night blindness. When I spotted the house left of the marina that was all lite up I breathed a sigh of relief. Can't wait until this weekend.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
tuck get one of those 3 led lights walmart sells- there around $10- best thing i have found light and comfortable..

zooker

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thanks for the advice...caught my first five (actually I caught two and my wife caught 3:mad: , but it gave us faith again. We went out in the am about 6:30, just when it was beginning to get light and then back out at about 7pm, just before it got dark. I tried to go out after dark one night and it really made me nervous not being able to see where I was going. Yea, I did have a spot light, but unfortunately I have a degree of night blindness. When I spotted the house left of the marina that was all lite up I breathed a sigh of relief. Can't wait until this weekend.
Glad to hear it. Just takes time to learn the lakes and the "honey" holes.:cool:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Since you live there a log would be advisable too. Print you up some fill in the blank type pages with weather,water temps, water clarity, best lure(s) barometric pressure, solunar predictions and times/sizes of fish caught. Keep some blank pages in the boat along with a pen and USE them. After a couple of years you"ll know when to be where. Most folks either don't list enough info or they don't fill out their logs every trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.