NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will probably be the "last" not a fish post! ha ha ha ha ha.... :)

Steve, got another tail to throw in the bag for ya.. ;)

Here's the pix.. Oh, and my boy got his FIRST squirrel today!!! Couldnt get him to field dress it, but he was right there while I showed him... Anyway.. we had a great family day today outdoors :D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
It is really nice to see that some fathers still spend quality time with their kids teaching them skills that they can always fall back on. I said something to my new wife a few months ago about hunting when I was 12-13 yrs old out in the woods with a shotgun all alone and she couldn't even imagine one of her students with a gun alone or with an adult... Not the way todays kids are fed and shoved in front of a TV.... Good goin' POP !

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good going guys. Sure it ain't no fish... but it is just as important. Yep, Sundrop I know where you are coming from. I bought a 12 ga Remington 1100 when I was 12 yrs old. $138 dollars of hard earned tobacco cropping money well spent. I felt like I had outgrown that 20 ga. single I had gotten for Christmas a few years earlier. No big deal, just something I wanted and got the old fashioned way. You get called bad names for letting your child work these days. Don't even think of letting him or her wander thru the woods armed with a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the comments Al and Sundrop.

Me too, I remember saving up for my first .22 (Iver Johnson 15 shot carbine iron sights). Used to take it in the woods with me, even strap it to the handle bars on my bike!... ya definately dont see that these days.. Now it's ATV's, Play Stations, Piercings, tattoo's and all this by the time they're 16!!!
I know times change, but when my boys are 18, then they can make them decisions for themselves, until then... They're my captive audiance until we find something they want to stick with.

Funny how close behind the boy stays to me out in the woods! :) And it's pretty hard for him to get into trouble on the boat in the middle of the lake too! :)

Hopefully when the day comes that when the boys ask for the keys to the truck and boat or the gun cabnet, I will have the confidence in them to say, have a good time and be safe. I'm trying to invest in that now so I wont have to dread it when the time comes. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
My father was anti gun when I was growing up but after I bought my first single shot 22 and dropped a fox that was raiding the chicken house and a few woodchucks through the summer and fall I was kinda surprised when I got a 12 guage single shot Ithaca for Christmas. That was 1963 been hunting ever since and got my first deer the following fall. I believe today he wishes he had been more interested in hunting and we would have been alot closer.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I still have the single bolt action .22 rifle my dad bought around 1950 . He was 13 or 14 himself and had worked hay and cotton after school for the money in west Tenn. He taught me how to shoot pennies off fence posts with it when I was in 3rd grade about 1974. I shot my first squirrell and first rabbit with that rifle as well as killed many many crows and snakes as a kid. I just took it out of the cabinet and wiped it down thinking about this post. Good memories!!

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Great stories. My neighbor's daughter killed her first buck yesterday evening. Her first big buck and first hunt alone. She is 15 and I don't know who was more proud, her or her father. The deer was a 6 pointer and around 150lbs or more. (neighborhood deer)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chuck and I got the meat back from the butcher on Monday; 91lbs of meat that's not counting the backstraps and neck roast. We boiled the skull on Sunday so we'd have a European mount for the wall turned out pretty good if I say so myself...

I hear ya, good feelin aint it!

My tally so far is:

1st buck 4 point 45 lbs
2nd buck 8 point 99 lbs
3rd buck 6 point 67 lbs
4th buck 8 point 104 lbs

Will be out with Marty saturday afternoon in Wake to try to fill doe tag

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Man Dave your a "natural born killa' " Times get tough I want you in my tribe! Congrats to the young lady as well!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sundrop, jus makin up for last year! (missed 7!!):eek: an inch here.. angle there... deflections... how I managed to bag 2 (buck and doe) was beyond me.

Both Buzzkill and I are having an very unusually sucessful year and takin every advantage of it! ha hah a ha..... probably wont see a squirrel next year,, so tryin to enjoy it this season for sure! ha ha ha ha ha...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.