NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread under "Freshwater Tackle & Tips", http://www.ncangler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079 , I shared the Catfish Noodles Seabiscuit and I made. Wellcraft Dave suggested starting a list of Pool Noodle Uses.

Dave, let's get it started here. Before the Cat-Noodle (pictured in the thread linked abaove), I used the large sized noodle as a cushion block for transporting the canoe on top of the car. I cut a 5 foot noodle into 4 equal sections & split them length-wise. I then slipped the noodle sections over the gunwales of the canoe to provide padding between the boat and the car roof. Dick's sells canoe blocks for $20 - $25 vs. one large noodle for $1.87 at Wal-Mart. Cheap & it worked well. I love the noodle!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
that's a great idea on the canoe cushion block. You could easily take a carpet knife and split long ways...

Back in our jet boatin days and wake/skiing,, we used one to keep the tow bridal floating, we'd slip the tow line thru it then put a knot in the line to keep the noodle up at the bridal and this helped keep the tow line away from the jet pump intakes and prevented the rope from gettin sucked up and wrapped around the impeller shafts.

A older gentleman in Fla I met last summer used a piece of one on his boga grip to keep it from sinking to the bottom incase he fumbled it over-board and used another section from the same noodle to keep/hold leaders with hooks on it. He put a rubber band on the line loop end to hold it to the noodle, then just simply wrapped the line around and stuck the hook in it. He kept his in his electronics box.

Little cut sections of noodle work great for making float lines (kinda like a bobber or ballon) for drifting lines while bottom fishing.

When wrap'd around the top of a 5 gallon bucket and zip tied to it, you can make holes in bucket to make a floating bait pen. Works with netting as well, zip tie the noodle(s) into a circle then zip tie on some netting and make a lid so bait cant jump out and you have a floating bait pen for the end of a dock. Some guys use a mix of PVC and the noodles with netting.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forrest, pipe insulation is good stuff too, but you can't get it in HOT PINK!:D Been a while since I bought insulation. It's about the same size as the standard noodle. In the summer you can get noodles at the dollar store, obviously for $1. How does that compare for 5 foot section of insulation?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
ParrotHead---Several years ago I redone my insulation on my water pipes at the coast and I'm still using leftovers. I got some hot pink spray paint that I use to paint crab pot and net floats.:) But, if the noodles are cheaper I'll be noodling my water pipes in the future.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, $.20/Ft is pretty affordable whether the split is straight or not.

Another use: Put a section on your dip net or gaff. I could saved a lot of time I spent "jigging" for a net if I had thought of it.

Dave, I'm all in for any idea that combines nylon ties and noodles. Throw in duct tape and we'll have to start a different thread.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
ParrotHead and Wellcraft Dave---There are three things I couldn't survive without: duct tape, plastic electrical ties, and WD40. Now y'all have thrown the noodles on me. After re checking, I'm using more noodles (pipe insulation tubes) than I thought. Even using it for grips on my kayak paddle(tied with plastic straps) cushion for carrying canoe(taped and secured with duct tape) I guess I will have to add another absolute necessity:confused:

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Great idea on noodlin the water pipes.... hmmm... a dollar for a 4 ft noodle that thicker than the stuff at Lowes.... Guess I'll be loadin up on more noodles!!!! (wally worlds got them in by the way....)

he he he,, yeah, duct tape, pool noodle, hand full of zip ties and some liquid electric tape,,, bet NASA engineers could figure out some wild stuff with that combination :)

What's funny is, did a search on pool noodles and it's amazing the accessories you can find, i.e. noodle connectors, different shaped noodles, colors, hollow and solid core noodles, noodles that dont disinegrate over time.... it's crazy

What I did find interesting in my quest for noodle knowledge is there's this patio/pool deck mister deal. It basically can be attached via them zip ties to patio table umbrella's, patio deck roofs and other stuff, it works by attaching your garden hose and then "mists" water to keep folks cool during hot summer days. That gave me an idea to look for one and zip tie it to my ttop on the boat, that way I could hook up the freshwater tank pump to it and have a nice cooling mist for everyone while out fishin on one of them hot days. :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
fojoloy said:
ParrotHead and Wellcraft Dave---There are three things I couldn't survive without: duct tape, plastic electrical ties, and WD40. Now y'all have thrown the noodles on me. After re checking, I'm using more noodles (pipe insulation tubes) than I thought. Even using it for grips on my kayak paddle(tied with plastic straps) cushion for carrying canoe(taped and secured with duct tape) I guess I will have to add another absolute necessity:confused:

Later, Forrest

I hear ya Forrest,,, but whatever ya do, dont forget about that wonderfull marvel "Liquid Electric Tape" :)

Pink noodle.... hmmm.. that one doesnt get my vote... but.. it does get alot of visibility.
Also matches day-glo lime green man thong as well :eek: .... (you wont catch me with either!)

WD 40... that's definately in the top 10.. :) arrrr... arrrr... arrr

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lefty Cheated Us!

Lefty,

Here's the place to put your pool noodle ideas. I saw the cart in your yak pics http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/sh...ry.php/cat/523

That looks a lot like a pool noodle. First time I ever said this to a guy, but that's a nice rack too. I could use something like that for my canoe. If you got directions on that cart (also works for the canoe)and rack and you don't mind....put 'em here.

Wait a minute, that's PVC and noodle............

Maybe you can convert your cart into a catfish noodle when you're in the boat:D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
CoachKinsey asked me for schematics of the cart already... I'll have to work that up sometime when I can't get close to the water....

Lefty

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I did have one issue, perhaps other noodle-ologists can help with.

I made a noodle corer by "sharpening" the inside edge of a piece of 1" PVC with a sanding drum on my Dremel. However, for noodles longer than 4 or 5 inches, the core gets so tightly squeezed inside the corer that it starts ripping rather than cutting, and I wind up with an unattractive "exit wound" on the outside end. Any ideas how to relieve this pressure or otherwise improve this situation?

I'm not sure how successful I'd be in hitting the same spot coming in from the other side... although in a lot of applications it's not critical. I'd thought about lubricating the corer with silicone, but that doesn't sound like a high chance of success... If I could somehow find a way to mechanically release that pressure compressing the core...

Lefty

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lefty said:
If I could somehow find a way to mechanically release that pressure compressing the core...
Lefty,

Can you hook a shop vac up to the other end of the corer? Maybe that would suck the scrap away fast enough that it doesn't have a chance to compress.

...or a bigger corer?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've had some solid-core noodles and some whose holes were predrilled for 1/2" PVC. I built my cart and rack out of 1", so I used a 1" corer to make the correct-size hole.

The shopvac is an interesting idea... I'll have to play with that...
Lefty

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Lefty---You may want to splurge a little bit and buy one 4 ft. section of 1'' pipe insulation. It aready has a 1" hole in it. Lowes or Home Depot stores are just around the corner. Agri Supply in Garner will surely have it.;)

Later, Forrest

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.