NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i went to HARRIS this mornin ended up goin in at AVENT FERRY dock was easy to put my 13 ft. canoe in - very muddy - thought for sure i`d go home with some bass - saw a nice one jump clear out of the water - well they say A BAD DAY OF FISHIN IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK even though i`m retired - oh yea i used a crank bait and a senko [ rubber worm ] - isin`t a crank bait where they spin and at different depth`s ???

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts

Crankbait...

spinner bait...

Other than that, if the water was muddy, a senko type bait would not be the first choice for me. I would go with a spinner bait or a rattle bait, or try to find a little clearer water.

Of course, it depends on what you are considering muddy...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I agree with Lewis. Muddy water I try to make some noise, or put some vibration in the water as he mentioned. I might also try topwater, like a buzz or prop bait. Are the water temps still up around 84-85 degrees? I'm not crazy about muddy water fishing either btw.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Lewis. Muddy water I try to make some noise, or put some vibration in the water as he mentioned. I might also try topwater, like a buzz or prop bait. Are the water temps still up around 84-85 degrees? I'm not crazy about muddy water fishing either btw.
yea it was real muddy don`t know if you know where i put in but i always heard that muddy water brings bigger bass - i have the spinner bait [ expensive ] - but it is top water right ?? - there is a bridge there but i`m guessing it was also muddy - thanks

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
bubba man YOU GOT NOTHING ON ME! Straight up, I was 0 for 21 trips to S.H. I took the rod out of my buddy's hand, threw his rig into his spot and nothing. Gave it back to him and two casts latter, well you know what happen. But the biggest Bass I ever caught while fishing for Bass came out of S.H. Caught bigger, but we were Striper Fishing using live Shad at Kerr.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I can go almost anywhere and get on fish, yet Harris can still kick my keester any day of the week. I have got to the point that I never go there unless I have too.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Has anyone looked at weather lately??? Cold frount hot frount cold frount hotfrount!!!! They have been comeing in back to back. Frounts like this kills the fishing.Don"t fill bad it "s just the weather.Last sunday on lake nobody was catching anything.Hot and cold frounts play on fishing.When they come in quick and leave quick.;):)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Don't feel bad about getting skunked at Avents Ferry. That happens to lots of people there.:)

Next time make the trip to Harris. The fish have been biting pretty good there lately.

I do like Avents Ferry but it is hit and miss a lot. Last time I was there I caught fish around the island. This time there is no telling where you may find them. Getting about time for them to be in the creek mouths.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't feel bad about getting skunked at Avents Ferry. That happens to lots of people there.:)

Next time make the trip to Harris. The fish have been biting pretty good there lately.

I do like Avents Ferry but it is hit and miss a lot. Last time I was there I caught fish around the island. This time there is no telling where you may find them. Getting about time for them to be in the creek mouths.
ok i go in a avents ferry do i go left [ towards bridge ] or right for better fishin

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Don't feel bad. You have to remember everyone posting fish on here is posting their good day. It would be boring if everyone posted how often they get skunked.;)
Boy that is the truth. I have had as many unsuccessful days this year as really good ones, and I don't always post the ones where I didn't do well. :D

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ok i go in a avents ferry do i go left [ towards bridge ] or right for better fishin
It depends. The dam is to the left under the bridge about 2 miles. Bush Creek is about half way to the dam on the right.
To the right is Goat Island, Deep River and Haw river split, and up the Haw is Jordan Dam. If you in a kayak I'm guessing that's out of reach.

If it was me, I would try the mouth of the creek across from the boat ramp where the concrete intake is, and if you get bit, try up the creek or ride down to Bush Creek.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I never go unless I am 3 days frome new low or high presser frount comeing in.Today being 3 days frome start of low I did very good. This one is staying rest of week.So now each day will get better.All my fish came frome 6feet . A lot of skunks this year because of quick presser changes.So if you keep that in mind it will help keep the skunk away.Watch bill dance he talks about it all the time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I LOATHE Harris. Never caught a thing outta there, however my BIL went there this A.M. and rubbed 2 pics in my face that had to have been an 8-9 lb bag.
I agree. Its my home lake and I just can't catch more than 1 or 2 bass per trip and often get skunked. I've cast into feeding fenzys recently and still don't hook up. I just don't get that lake. I think a lot of people use live bait/shad. I did watch a huge carp almost take my buzz bait last night tho. Weird lake. I'm open to any tips anyone has on SH. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.