NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my name is Scotty I'm a rising junior in high school and I have been kayak fishing just over a year now around the atlantic beach, salter path area. I've caught a few good size fish but I would to know where I need to go in my kayak in order to catch those big drum, shark, flounder, trout etc

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Basically a different spot for each of them. Pick the one you want the most and study up using the search function. A big shark would probably be the easiest for your location if you want something big but are you sure you want to tangle with a big shark from the yak? They aren't the friendliest happiest creatures you know.....

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't kayak but common sense tells me the best way to handle a big shark , especially being new to it, is a sharp knife and a steel hook you don't mind loosing. I wouldn't dare try to boat one being new to it. Don't use stainless so it rusts out quickly..

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If u want a big Shark right now...just paddle out about 200 Yards past the surf... anchor...and pull a wicked tuna set up...chumin with mullet or menhaden and you will take a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Head to the Pamlico now for Giant Drum...they are like puppy dogs when you handle them...much safer...

Attachments

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Catmaster what do you do when that shark opens its mouth and starts thrashing for all its worth? I mean its a cool pic but how safe is it??
In that position he is in complete control of that shark. I would bring sharks of that size on board the kayak all day. When they start getting into the 40 plus pound range I would release them beside the yak. Speaking of which, I might have to go hit the spinner shark hole from the yak soon. Having 80-100 pound fish pull me around on light tackle and their areal displays would be a blast.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Scotty,
I have been yak fishing in the salt for over 15 years now. I've had yakside 100#+ sharks, cobia, and more. When you start talking about targeting big fish, over 50# is what I'll use as a mark, it really is a whole nother ball game.
The first question to be answered is;
In the sea conditions you will be fishing in(anytime yer in the yak actually), if you turn over with the gear you have on board, deployed the way it is, ...can you get back in? Not...Yeah, I think so. Can you get back in...period. There are a ton of folks who cannot answer that question because it has not happpened to them, or they haven't gone out and done it in a controlled setting.
By controlled setting I mean go out with a buddy, tether everything, and yep, turn it over. Eye opening, it is.

You have to know the answer to that question, you need to. I have heard the whole, "I'll have buddies with me to help speech".
You have to be able to self rescue on your own.

I used to work for a couple of yak makers and have over 170K poly hulls that were made on my watch and had to go to shows and demos alot and loved to watch the sea kayak crowd being shown how easy it was to learn an "eskimo roll". The "experts" would be giving lessons at the edge of the lake or calm ars piece of water. Everyone feeling so proud.
I would walk down and challange the expert at times, those folks seemed to get under my skin for some reason, and bet $100.00 he couldn't roll that thing back up if I were skipperin a decent sized boat around him a 1/4 throttle.
"That would be to rough"...Exactly. Who tips over when it looks like glass?
You have to practice for real world conditions.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I Concur....I have been dumped many times...always prepare to have to swim...always.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts