NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

O.K here is my problem. I have thrown soft bait's, hard baits, Spinner baits, Top water, shallow diving, deep diving, I have even tried some Berkly Gulp worm's. I have also tried live worms and have not caught a darn thing lately. I fished this past Saturday and Sunday up at SH lake at the boat launch accross from the power plant. I did not catch anything on either day. I spent several hours trying different things on both day's and the only thing I did manage to do is get mad and hook myself.:mad: I guess what I am looking for is what is the best thing to use as far as baits go and when is the best time. I am at a loss. Thanks for your time and help.( I fish from a Kayak).

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Osh,
I've taken a bit of a tip from the "Never get skunked" article (don't remember the real title) and have allowed myself to target small bream lately -- partly to make sure my son caught something, but also to help myself stay encouraged :) I've caught some bream and some smallish cats on bottom-rigged worms with #6 hooks. Had success both on a flat point at a local pond and in the channel where the Haw runs into Jordan. Best results were within 2 hrs of sundown, but I also had a good time one morning from about 8 to about 10.

Good luck
Lefty

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! My next two days off will be this wednesday and Thursday. I may try some evening fishing if I can get a light for the kayak rigged up before then just incase I am out after dark. I would hate to be on the water out there with no way for boaters to see me. Thanks for your time and Help.:)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Actually, I spoke to Brent Ward, a boating enforcement rep for NC Wildlife, about the illumination requirements for paddle-powered craft... He told me that NC's only requirement was for there to be a light signaling device on board -- so if you're concerned about meeting the minimum requirements, a head-lamp would be perfect (when you turn to look at the approaching noise, you've signaled the approaching vessel). A flashlight handy would also meet the requirement.

Having said that, I've got a two-mile C-light mounted on a mast on my crate. It came with a clip to attach the lite to a PFD - I screwed that clip to a PVC end cap and used zip ties to fasten the mast to my crate. (Then Coach produced a couple of real nice oak blocks to hold the mast... thanks coach!)

Good luck!
Lefty

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
in harris from the launch the rip rap on the bridge right from that launch is always decent..to the left 1/4 mile or so from the launch is a steep drop bank above the water it tapers off to a small point. this entire section is full of stumps.. i have had good luck with green pumkin or water melon seed plastic baits. a popin frog can slay in the grass. looking deeper any thing in a -prefurably red- lipless bait does take it fair share of bass form this lake every year.. watch out for some monster sized jacks that are always around..

zooker

·
Registered
183 Posts
small popers on a fly rod or meal worms under a cork around structure. A real neat bait we fished with one season and had a great time with was to take plastic worms and use a razor blade to cut them into a piece about 1/8" by 1 1/2" long. Run a gold size 8 hook thru and a small split shot and chunk it around anything. You'll catch just about anything, red was a real good color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.