NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new spining rod and reel for kayak fishing in the Palico Sound. Want to catch flounders, Reds, etc. Any suggetions? What weight line should I get?

:eek:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Uh oh, Glenn, ya gone and done it now!
Intentionally inviting the tackle monkey?
What are you thinking, man?! :eek:

Oops -- I mean, "I'm sure you'll get plenty of good suggestions."
Lefty

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showcat.php/cat/2 check out these reviews...

I have found some good quality combos on Ebay as well. Just remember they have to be saltwater rated! I've tried to get by with freshwater stuff and without serious flushing and constant maintainence they just won't do. Even then not for long..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guy. Lefty.........the tackle monkey is my friend. Always had a soft spot for toys!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey Glenn,
I'm fishing the salt for the first time ever this year. I chose a Penn 440 SSG and a Medium+fast 7' 2-pc St Croix Triumph rod from Gander Mtn over the winter for inshore use. Have only used it 3 or 4 times so far. Great for casting light stuff like weightless plastic jerkbaits but I wish I had gone heavier action on the rod. It just doesn't have the backbone for popping 1/4oz jigs off the bottom and through the weeds. The need for 2 pc portability outweighed action at the time - this was the one that fit the criteria best on the day I took the monkey to GM.

As far as the Penn reel, its been OK so far. Not the lightest ever, not the smoothest ever. I'm trusting in Penn's reputation that it will be a good reel for a very long time.

So far I prefer my Abu 4600 & BPS MH casting rod better for the limited coastal work I've done. Going to find some lighter jigheads for my gulp shrimp next trip and see if I can get a better feel with the penn+st croix.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just bought some great rigs at Gander Mountain 'O Tackle Monkey, will have to look up what I got, but great spinning reels. The rods wouldn't work for you as they're shore rods, but got great combos there from $49.99 and up...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a Shimano Baitrunner but I got the 3500. I'm going to exchenge it for the 4500 so I can use stronger line than 12lb. I have not picked out a rod yet. Any ideas? I live in Raleigh. I think there is a Bass Pro Shop in Myrtle Beach (where I am going next week).

:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
One thought - you can go with braid to get the diameter you want but with way more strength than mono. lets you keep that 3500. (But if a man and his tackle monkey have their hearts set on a more powerful reel, far be it from me to get in the way!)

For a Rod, there is a BPS in myrtle beach. Then there are the obvious local places - Dicks, Walmart. Might be able to come up with something at one of them. If N. Raleigh is convenient you might try Carolina Outdoor Sportsman - decent selection of both fresh and saltwater tackle with lots of specialty stuff. If you can get over to Greensboro there's Gander Mountain - way better freshwater selection, about the same saltwater as C.O.S. I saw some baitrunners at Overtons - don't recall seeing much that I liked in the way of rods to go along with them.

I had my heart set on a 7'6" M rod for the kayak (longer to get around the nose easier), but just couldn't find one in 2pc (to pack easier). I had my hands on a 1-piece Shimano Compre at Roscoes in Wake Forest, but decided it had heavier action than I thought I wanted at the time. Meanwhile Roscoes went out of business, and it turns out that it would have been the perfect length and action for what I'm doing. So I wound up taking the 7'0" Medium St Croix for something like $60 at Gander Mtn. It felt like what I was looking for in the store, but in practice it has proven to be a little to far on the whippy side.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello Glenn. I am not a yakker, like Jeff or Lefty, but I do fish alot. From my side, I would look at possibly getting a Med Heavy rod. 7' is a good size for red, flounder, specks, and anything that you might catch inshore. It won't be as "wippy/wimpy" as Jeff made reference to and it will stand up to a good size red, chopper, bonito, and spanish. Once you get the rod and reel settled, then you have to get the proper rigging for the type of fish you want to catch. The Shimano 4000 is a nice reel. I have one and it has pulled in a number of fish. The number of ball bearings makes for a smoother operation. The type of ball bearings will determine if it will continue to work in saltwater fishing conditions. Stainless Steel! Make sure that you clean up your rig after use. Some WD40 and fresh water should do the trick. That way, your investment will last you for many years. I have about 5 different combinations with varying line and capacities. I also have other rigs for surf casting, trolling, and pier fishing. The Tackle Monkey and I have a long history of spending time in shops from the coast to the mountains. Tight Lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.