NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an invite to see what the nearshore was offering up. We cleared Masonboro inlet at sunup yesterday. The wind switch forecast hadn’t taken place and it was pretty sporty even in a 25 center console, 3-4 with a bigger groundswell. Wasn’t much chance of casting with light stuff so out went the spoons and planer. Although I’m no fan of dragging hardware for Spanish sometimes plan B is the best option out the gate. By 8 we got the wind switch we had hoped for, swinging around from off the hill and knocking down the slop in short order. The stout groundswell remained but the interval was long and it turned into a pretty morning. We had a half dozen respectable fish in the box and we started seeing fish aerial so we tried casting with the light stuff. Couldn’t coax a taker so we resumed trolling. We put another half dozen in the box including a fat shouldered 26“ the marine fisheries guys double checked on our way in to make sure it wasn’t a snake king. It would have been nice had we been able to add a few bonito but it was a few hours well spent in my humble opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
165 Posts
Nice! We got blanked two weekends ago going out of Beaufort for Spanish but we hit AR320 and picked up some of the largest grey trout I’d ever seen (24”+) on squid and cigar minnows so not a total waste! Hoping to hit it again next weekend and thinking the Spanish will be there by then! If not, look for us at AR330 or maybe a little further out.

Tight lines

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Nice! We got blanked two weekends ago going out of Beaufort for Spanish but we hit AR320 and picked up some of the largest grey trout I’d ever seen (24”+) on squid and cigar minnows so not a total waste! Hoping to hit it again next weekend and thinking the Spanish will be there by then! If not, look for us at AR330 or maybe a little further out.

Tight lines
Spanish have been THICK for the last couple of weeks. No need to go far, 8-13 feet of water has been the best bite. Trolling tandem Tsunami or Don’s Glass minnow jigs until you find them and then casting. Not hard to put a few limits in the boat in a short amount of time. Oceanna pier all the way to the shoals has produced fish

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Well done ......Any Cobia sightings ? ........ICM
Heard of several sightings and a couple weighed in at Chasin Tails in MHC. I stopped in Joe Schute's fly shop in MHC this morning and he told me they are bangin' the cobia out of Oregon Inlet. He's afraid this hard north blow we've had, which is only supposed to continue, will push them out and to the north. So am I😠

1 - 6 of 6 Posts