NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I went out to the Neuse today like we had planned. We were the first boat in the creek right after sunrise, it was an absolutely beautiful morning and we started out nicely by catching a few trout early on using GULP shrimp, both in New Penny color and Pearl White color, jigging them very very slowly off the bottom. After bringing in several trout, here comes another boat. Just as the other boater is rounding the bend, we see him make three casts and bring in three trout. About this time, he says to us "Good Morning, y'all catching any?" Then he catches another one... So I ask him "Is it ok for me to ask what you are throwing?" He tells me that he is throwing a MR17 and that it is his favorite trout lure. Well I have totally struggled with the MR17, in fact I have never caught a trout with one. I have fished them all manner of ways, never resulting in a fish so to say I don't have any confidence in them is an understatement! So I just had to ask "I don't mean to bother you but can you show me exactly how you are fishing that thing?" He replied "Sure, come on up here." Bottom line, his taking a few minutes with me and showing me a few things resulted in me catching 25 trout today with the MR17! Thank you Raymond for sharing your knowledge with my son and I, we truly appreciated your willingness to share and patience, you are a true sportsman!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was really about cadence and speed. I had been trying to fish this lure too fast. Patience was very key. Also how big or little you twitch the rod when you have the lure at the depth you want. Having someone show you how and why you count the lure down to depth was invaluable. In our case yesterday the 17 dropped about 8-10 inches per second, since we were fishing in about 7 feet of water, he had me count it down to about 6 feet using a 6 Mississippi count. Then he had me twitch the rod about 4-6 inches every 3-4 Mississippi. He also showed me the importance of keeping your rod tip down and watching your line in the water for either the slightest twitch or slack in the line. Using his technique I was hooked up on the second cast.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My son and I went out to the Neuse today like we had planned. We were the first boat in the creek right after sunrise, it was an absolutely beautiful morning and we started out nicely by catching a few trout early on using GULP shrimp, both in New Penny color and Pearl White color, jigging them very very slowly off the bottom. After bringing in several trout, here comes another boat. Just as the other boater is rounding the bend, we see him make three casts and bring in three trout. About this time, he says to us "Good Morning, y'all catching any?" Then he catches another one... So I ask him "Is it ok for me to ask what you are throwing?" He tells me that he is throwing a MR17 and that it is his favorite trout lure. Well I have totally struggled with the MR17, in fact I have never caught a trout with one. I have fished them all manner of ways, never resulting in a fish so to say I don't have any confidence in them is an understatement! So I just had to ask "I don't mean to bother you but can you show me exactly how you are fishing that thing?" He replied "Sure, come on up here." Bottom line, his taking a few minutes with me and showing me a few things resulted in me catching 25 trout today with the MR17! Thank you Raymond for sharing your knowledge with my son and I, we truly appreciated your willingness to share and patience, you are a true sportsman!
A great Sports MAN!

·
Registered
55 Posts
So lets here it! How do you fish the MR17's?

Edit - Nevermind, somehow missed the explanation above.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was really about cadence and speed. I had been trying to fish this lure too fast. Patience was very key. Also how big or little you twitch the rod when you have the lure at the depth you want. Having someone show you how and why you count the lure down to depth was invaluable. In our case yesterday the 17 dropped about 8-10 inches per second, since we were fishing in about 7 feet of water, he had me count it down to about 6 feet using a 6 Mississippi count. Then he had me twitch the rod about 4-6 inches every 3-4 Mississippi. He also showed me the importance of keeping your rod tip down and watching your line in the water for either the slightest twitch or slack in the line. Using his technique I was hooked up on the second cast.
This is how I worked them the rest of the day and had a blast.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.