NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this doesnt happen very often but the ice on our local pond is 4-6 inches thick. Definitly safe to be on...

so, the kids and I are going to try ice fishing today, mostly for panfish I guess. We have a worm composter so I guess we will use them for bait.
'
I know this is "whacked" but, yall got any suggestions

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Well, this doesnt happen very often but the ice on our local pond is 4-6 inches thick. Definitly safe to be on...

so, the kids and I are going to try ice fishing today, mostly for panfish I guess. We have a worm composter so I guess we will use them for bait.
'
I know this is "whacked" but, yall got any suggestions

Be careful. If you pull this off and live I will be very, very impressed. If you actually catch something I will be in awe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its safe.....folks are skating on several amall ponds here. Been in the single digits at night for a week, with highs in low 20's

question is.....will we catch anything. Im gonna guess no, but cabin fever demands the attempt:eek:

G

·
yes, 4" of ice will be plenty safe, just stay clear of the water where it feeds in or spring. Submerged weeds is a good place to start fishing.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Small minnow will work for bass, crappie and big bream...:) Now its
time to see if you really know the lake. Holes in the wrong spots do
not yield any fish..right spots and plenty of fish..

<*)))))>{

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I would definitely err on the side of caution. Story in the news right now about three people dead in Vermont who fell thru the ice on their snowmobiles. Story mentioned how other snowmobile tracks were visible.

Wear life jackets. At least initially have a rope tied off to a solid anchor on shore and each person affixed to the rope.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just got back.....no luck. Ice was 5in....a chore to get a hole in. Tried red worms. Kids got cold so we headed back for lunch.....maybe try again later...current temp is 22

dont worry, we are a lot lighter then a snowmobile;)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
little chunks of worm on a small jig head with some marabo tied to the hook works well or tiny spoons tiped with meal worms or wax worms if you can get them down there.
slightly jig it up and down 2 to 3 inches and let it rest a few then do it all over again.
drop right to the bottom then bring it up 6 inches to a foot and start jigging,then if nothing bring it up another 6 inches and try again,do this till you find fish in the water colum and you should do good,remember though dont drill holes too close together 5 inches of ice isnt much i dont get on it till there is better than 10 inches ;)

Reactions: grandpaa

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
very cool and yeah i know it will never get ten down there thats why ill never ice fish down there lol.
you can make a cheap jigging rod instead of useing a whole rod,just take a reel and the tip off a rod and tape the reel to the end of the rod tip giving you like a 4 ft rod them,we used to use black tape to put the reel on the tip just food for thought ;)
looks like ya'll enjoyed the day even though it was cold and nothing biteing thanks for the pics :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've driven a GMC Jimmy on 10 inches of ice in Wisconsin. 4-5 inches is PLENTY for fishing. Yes, it's very labor intensive to punch one hole, let alone 5 or 6 around the pond. Looks like you need to rent a gas powered auger and really punch some holes in that ice. I want to see some fish caught through the ice! That'd be awesome!! :p

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
A hand auger is more than plenty for 4-6 inches of ice! Too bad you couldnt get anything...ice fishing is one of my favorite things to do back home in michigan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.