NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
RTP Miami Blvd. 2:30am. 3/8-1/2" of sleet on anything concrete or asphalt. I'm driving around fine HERE. It's a tad slicker than it was an hour or so ago. It'll probably be slick as snot on a snail shell come daylight. Stay home.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The report on WRAL says we should be grateful for all the sleet (can't see pavement in my Cary/Apex neighborhood) because getting that instead of rain kept us from having a lot of ice. It is still nasty to drive on and there will still be patches of ice on roads, but at least we didn't have a lot of trees and power lines down.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've worked extensively and on the front lines in the aftermath of severe ice storms and hurricanes. Ice storms are the worst. You can find a bottle of water after a hurricane. After an ice storm, heat can be in short supply and out of reach for many people.
Progress Energy will be missed in that arena. They were top dog.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have been lucky. About 22 years in this house and the only time I have been without power more than a few hours was Fran; then it was several days. Never had the temperature below 40 inside the house (only below 60 a handful of times), never lost gas, never lost water/sewer. Lost power for under 8 hours several times, but they always got right on it.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Freezing rain In Lenoir County and Kinston areas. Temp is 25 degs here. So far, no power loss for me. Crossing my fingers that we'll keep our power. We're on Jones Onslow Electric out of Jacksonville, and on the end of their lines. Freezing rain bothers me much more than snow or sleet. Limbs get heavy from the ice buildup and fall on power lines. Not good.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Spraying hwys here was started yesterday, and even my road was spayed. 1st time I've noticed them doing that this early, if at all. Only a few people live on the road I live on. About 20 houses in 2 miles. Looks like a winter wonderland here except no snow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.