NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At about 6 this evening I was fishing in the surf from the beach on Emerald Isle only about .5 mile west from the Indian Beach city limit. While fishing I saw this enormous fish sky out of the water only about 75 yards from shore. I have fished several beaches throughout NC for several years now and have never seen something that big (other than a shark) that close to the shore. I'm 6'3" and that dang fish had to be at least as long as I am tall. Does anyone know what it could be? All I could see was the white underside of the fish but it was very slender which makes me think it might have been a King Mac but it would've had to be a BIG king.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I have seen a spinner shark at Fort Macon jump clear of the water but it was probably a white undersided jump fish... Its a little early for Kings to be that close to shore but who knows.. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
28 Posts
kings

I have seen a spinner shark at Fort Macon jump clear of the water but it was probably a white undersided jump fish... Its a little early for Kings to be that close to shore but who knows.. Stranger things have happened.
We had a school of at least 5 kings come up to the boat last week while bottom fishing a reef in brunswick county. We had at least 8 hook ups in 3 days. All the hook ups happened within 8 feet from the boat, Saw just about every fish. We kept pulling the hooks or the bait poked them wrong or something. (I learned Pinfish may not be the best bait for kings) It'll be while before I get back down so i'm sure they'll be gone by then.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Close up on the beach I would guess tarpon but a tarpon that size wouldn't be skinny. I've seen large tarpon sky within spitting distance of the beach. Literally.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We had a school of at least 5 kings come up to the boat last week while bottom fishing a reef in brunswick county. We had at least 8 hook ups in 3 days. All the hook ups happened within 8 feet from the boat, Saw just about every fish. We kept pulling the hooks or the bait poked them wrong or something. (I learned Pinfish may not be the best bait for kings) It'll be while before I get back down so i'm sure they'll be gone by then.

Pin fish are one of the best baits for a king! They are tough as nails and super skittish/frisky! Sounds like you drag may have been the issue. 3-4lbs of drag is all you need. Anything higher will result in pulled hooks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts