NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some cheap and easy ways to make a stake out pole and what size do you recommend 6 or 8 foot? Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I made a stake out pole at Lowes for about $20. Got a 4-8ft extendable painters pole and a screw on garden hose anchor spike that threaded on well enough. Some super glue and duct tape to hold it together and it did great. Downsides are you only get the length of the spike securing you to the bottom which can be pretty loose on windy days and I only got a couple months out of mine before the spike broke. I think a day of staking out in oyster beds cracked it and staking out against a dam and a sunken stump on the day it broke finally did it in.

I went ahead and got the 4ft YakGear pole for $25 to get me by until I fix my painters pole.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I spotted a hardwood mop or broom handle at Home Depot for $6...sharpened the point even more and ran a screw into the point. Then cut and filed the screw so a metal point protruded about quarter of an inch. Then coated the screw and wooden tip with epoxy. Added a lanyard/tether and a grip. But, it's only 5 feet long. Will slide down thru a scupper hole or hook to anchor trolley.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Broom handle with the end cut at a sharp angle. A hole in the other end with a loop of rope through. Work great but only disadvantage is its a little short when you are in 2 feet of water and push through 2 feet of mud.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
an 8ft wooden closet rod / dowel. Sharpen one end, add an eyelet to the other or cross drill it for a rope.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Golf ball retriever, adjustable from 6ft up to about 12ft, but probably only really usable up to 8-9ft.. cost=$13 for a yak, its great, a boat..idk probably not

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies so far. I keep forgetting to do a search before I ask questions and read about a few more ideas. Right now I'm all about DIY on the cheap. I sent yakattack fly flinger a PM, I'll call him tomorrow.

·
Registered
607 Posts
What I did...
8' grounding rod at Lowes. Cut off 6-8" from one end and weld it on sideways to make a "T" handle. use a grinder to sharpen the other end. It's not as light as a fiberglass, but I can assure you that you won't break it, though welding skills may vary.

About $9.00 invested

1 - 9 of 9 Posts