NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many on this site backpack.

If you do, I would like to know why? Is it for solitude, take a walk in the woods, etc.

PS This is my first post, thanks Mstach!

·
Registered
205 Posts
there are a ton of reasons to backpack. I have been blessed to live in an area that has no shortage of places to backpack. the best I can think of is to be next to the stream or creek for several days away from the crowds and to be able to fish on your own schedule. but in the last couple of years I've noticed that even in places like deep creek and hazel creek places that are 7-10 miles from the neares trailhead, you still have a lot of company.

·
Registered
22 Posts
LT

Glad you made it out
and good to see you on this forum

Guys. If you can catch LT. He is a great fishing partner and friend and well worth the time to hook up with

Mstash

·
Registered
25 Posts
I backpack to get away from everything..... really like the feeling of solitude while deep in the woods. I also like to backpack to get to places you can't see any other way. Ummmmm 3 miles deep on a brookie stream is hard to beat!!

BTW Jack welcome to the forum I think you'll really like the place. Send some of those Hazel Creek pics in, I'm sure others would enjoy seeing them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not many responses as of yet.............but, I posted this question to see what you would say.

I must say, my primary reason to backpack is to get to wild fishing spots. The solitude is nice, but my personality doesn't like to hike "just to hike".

When I do backpack for several days, I like to make the trip as nice as it can be.........Outback Jon, Cocktails, Nice Sleeping Conditions, Campfires and Good Food while still keeping pack and weight under 50lbs, and that is not easy!

It is quite different backpacking here than in the Sierras, where you call make tracks to lakes and streams that may not have been fished for years. And most camping is in open areas where you have an uncluttered view of the stars!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh man. I should write an essay on that question. Briefly, the solitude, better fishing(quantity and quality), cooking fresh fish over a campfire, the views, the sights, the sounds, the self reliance, the exercise, peace of mind, and on and on.

Ignatius Reilly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.