NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a friend moving to the Eastern NC area w/ his family and I'm helping him look for a boat. I've got a few thoughts on what might be a good choice, but figured I'd poll an audience that actually lives there everyday. SOooooo:

Let's say you were gonna buy a boat for the Pamlico river, sound, and Nuese area. You were a "casual" fisherman who has a family of 5 (total), a couple teenagers, and you wanted to be able to take them crabbing, clamming, fishing, skiing, cruising, etc. You'd want to be able to run reasonably skinny, but not Florida Keys skinny. You'd also want to be able to handle the chop that the Pamlico serves up, and maybe sneak offshore on the occasional calm day. You might even take up kiteboarding, so room for a little extra gear would be kinda nice. You are gonna keep the boat at your house, so easy trailering, and limiting the size is important. Your budget is something less than 20K.

Two questions:
- First trying to get a feel for "style" of boat. If you had three particular boats you'd recommend, what would they be? Price doesn't matter here, this is just to help identify the style. Feel free to include any "why's"

- Top choice - what brand/model/size would you recommend? He'll be buying used, so quality of build does matter.

Thanks in advance, there's nothing so fun as spending someone ELSES money on a boat, so thought I'd share the joy! :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Several different opinions with be expressed here. 19'+ bayboat will fit your bill. I know I like mine.
x2.

Bayboat is the way to go. Just keep in mind that there isn't such a thing as a "one size fits all" in the boating world. That said, I think a bayboat gets about as close as you can to that definition.

I have a 21' NauticStar bayboat that I've had out in the ocean and up in the creeks. It will also pull tubes for the kids. There are plenty of companies making bayboats, so your friend shouldn't have any trouble shopping for one.

You will also see many skiffs in the area. A little rougher ride, but people love 'em, and they are affordable.

Take a look here: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted-17/

This should give your friend some idea of current prices on used boats.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Buddy of mine had a 22ft Triton center console as his boat for a few years. He used it for both bass fishing and inshore/ sound fishing. I know he fished some pretty skinny water in it during our club tournaments and also put a hurting on some trout at Cape Lookout in some sloppy conditions. It seems to me that there are some center consoles around the 20 ft range look to be better suited for bigger water and others look better suited for skinny water.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
21ft bay boat like a seapro sv2100 or a bullsbay 2200. Rooms for 5 , at least a 150hp or more. I loved and miss mine.. Boat trailer Boat Wheel Tire Watercraft

Reactions: BigE818

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sundrop, your boat looks like what I have. 2001 sv2100. 150 Yamaha. Love it
If I ever find a way to buy another one it will be the last boat I ever buy.!! Wish I had never sold it but life yanno..

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was going to suggest a 22' Bay boat, but it seems that you are being pushed in that direction already. Instead, I'll say a runabout like this Tahoe. http://www.tahoeboats.com/boat/?boat=3626

A bay boat is probably still a better choice. My friend takes his almost everywhere, but he doesn't like to hit the surf with only one motor.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
21-22ft bays go offshore plenty on decent days. I would opt for no less than 150hp prefer 200hp with the load you will carry and pull at times with a large family.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.