NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I don't think it was purposeful stocking; I doubt the person who dumped them really expected them to survive, much less multiply. They probably need to outlaw goldfish as bait before this happens here.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loc...of-goldfish-taking-over-teller-lake/25435855/

NOOOOOOO..... they outlaw goldfish here and in Virginia and Nats Dad and myself are up in arms:eek:. Best bait for flatheads in a couple rivers we fish in. They will not take over any water in piedmont and eastern nc....to many fishies like em. though I have seen 5 plus lb gold fish in Jordan, lake pine and the Haw.

nats dad and I are counting days to mid may when our flathead bite is on and you would be surprised on the money we spend on those goldfish.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will not take over any water in piedmont and eastern nc
That is probably what someone said about white perch in Harris at some point.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=4364
“Our best guess is that they were put here by a well-intentioned fisherman,” said biologist Kirk Rundle of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission. “We first started seeing them in early 2000, but we’ve seen a lot of growth in the species since 2010. The population is at its peak now.”

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That is probably what someone said about white perch in Harris at some point.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=4364
people have been using goldfish in nc for bait since well before most people who live here were here....if they were going to "take over" they would have by now. as to whote perch. someone tell me which is more native ,,,white perch or what bass???....yall know the answer.....white bass may have lived in 3 stream that led to Tennessee....

Gold fish are the least of our worries when it comes to fishing

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think either one of them morones belongs in the Piedmont. :D

What I read indicates that the natural range of the white perch did not extend far upriver from the tidal sections even when they had no dams blocking their way. I suspect if there weren't dams blocking their way downstream they would leave the Piedmont. The white bass I am less sure about.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I aint no Biologist or rocket scientist but I know that a white perch can live in fresh water(we all know that) and I can tell you that whomever said or wrote that they only live right above the tidal portions is full of it.
If they want to refute that I will throw out Lake Waccamaw... Probably the best white perch fishery in the country where they are NATIVE.
The Waccamaw river starts when it leaves the lake and guess how long it is......................

140 miles long...........

which 40 of that is tidal so 100 plus miles above it and they have always been there. NC natives have fished the White perch "run" for years..... white perch have a run just like shad, herring . so what I can tell you from experience is white perch have ranged inland at least to the fall line.
100 miles is pretty far above the tidal portion. so if they ranged naturally 100 miles above the tidal portion in one river what makes someone think they wouldn't swim 100 miles up another river ???????????????

Reactions: FishinCary

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, you found an exception where a coastal river is pretty long. I will grant you that. I was wrong to say not far from the tidal sections as I was thinking of the Roanoke, Tar, Neuse and Cape Fear; rivers which extend into the Piedmont. White perch are not common in these rivers away from the coastal plain which I oversimplified to call "near the tidal". I have not found any references to white perch being common in Goldsboro, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount or Roanoke Rapids and have read a few articles that pointed out that they were not. The WRC fisheries science guys seem to believe they were not native but that someone purposefully introduced them into Piedmont lakes. I have seen that in a few places - the article I quoted above being the most recent. I have also seen the shocking reports that he is referring to where white perch starting showing up in Harris after having not having been identified in previous reports.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My wifes family has caught them for generations at the fall line on the Roanoke.............that is Weldon. .....My wifes dad(deceased) and my BIL historically caught them there. If a summer flounder can be caught at Weldon(happens every year) what make someone think that a white perch cant be native to the Roanoke at Weldon???? I will give you that Harris is above the Fall line on the Cafe fear drainage and I have no family/historical records of white perch in the Fear up to fall line but the Roanake and Waccamaw are alooog ways apart.

so what you are telling me is that for some reason they have swam up the waccamaw 100 plus miles and the Roanoke for 125 miles but they refuse to swim up the Neuse and tar ?????????? I don't buy it. Sorry but you are debating with someone who knows better .

I am gone white bass fishing and the white perch I catch will be thrown on the bank for **** bait. :D

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck ; hope you slay them both. I admit that I want to believe the fisheries scientists. I want the white perch gone from the Piedmont but not if they truly are naturally occurring. I have lived here over 20 years and fish Harris often. I don't think I ever saw a white perch until maybe 12 years ago. I have seen many more in the last few years. Most of the fish I caught there the last couple of years were white perch.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Good luck ; hope you slay them both. I admit that I want to believe the fisheries scientists. I want the white perch gone from the Piedmont but not if they truly are naturally occurring. I have lived here over 20 years and fish Harris often. I don't think I ever saw a white perch until maybe 12 years ago. I have seen many more in the last few years. Most of the fish I caught there the last couple of years were white perch.
Thanks I did ok on them today 430-700 pm 3 white perch and 47 White Bass

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice job, Mack! Glad to hear you found that ratio.

Gambusia - never fished there. I fished Elephant Butte in southern part of NM. Me and a buddy drove down there from Denver one March, trying to escape winter on I-25. We were after white bass. We did not do well. It's a really big lake and it turned out we were on the wrong part. We caught a few fish, but worked really hard for them. You would think I would have learned my lesson about driving several hours with limited intel. You would be wrong. If I could escape my responsibilities for a few days, I would head for the Keys tomorrow with no plan...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really don't understand why they allow a fish to be used as bait when it would be illegal for you to dump the bucket where you are fishing.

EDIT - I do understand that it is legal and you are within your rights to do it. I just don't understand why they allow the fish to easily introduced accidentally when they seem to be concerned about the possible introduction.

Green Font Terrestrial plant Rectangle Number

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Plenty of white perch in the Potomac at Chain Bridge fall line. I actually caught a citation there as a kid. It's a long swim from there to Norfolk.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I caught a yellow perch in a flow in Alamance Co last year. I have no explanation for how that got there or why I've not caught others given the hours I spend there . I'd bet a million bucks nobody stocked it though.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I caught a yellow perch in a flow in Alamance Co last year. I have no explanation for how that got there or why I've not caught others given the hours I spend there . I'd bet a million bucks nobody stocked it though.
I don't know how one would get up that far with all the dams in the way if you are thinking it came from the coast. YP are not a popular fish to stock in this region but you can certainly get them stocked, so my guess would be a Houdini from a private lake or pond upstream would be more likely but it is just a guess.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.