NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the last two weeks. I have thrown everything I own at reds around topsail. Live bait cut bait. Bottom rigs. Popper corks. Spoons. Spinners. Voodoo shrimp. Gulp. Mullet. Shrimp. Mud minnows. Not sure what they're called, but they look like mini striper a with a sucker mouth. Ones that look like the last ones except they have vertical stripes. Not horizontal.

I have a kayak. Fished mud flats. Sandy shallows. Oyster beds. The inlet. I've been in the skinniest water around the north side of topsail. I live on N topsail so at least I haven't been wasting diesel. But man I am just at my whits end. I'm from Louisiana and I have yet to figure these reds out around here. I haven't seen any tailing. I am usually around tons of bait fish. I think I have seen reds chasing bait. But when I cast there. I turn up with a crab. No fish. I spend a lot of time in the marsh on back side of n topsail. Just because I see the most bait there. I haven't really fished any deep water.

I was was just hoping for tips or leads on how to find the reds. Or spot them. Then what to feed them. Anything because I'm almost done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reds in the surf

I don,t fish topsail But surf there a lot Alantic beach is my home beach an have surfed both places
for 30 plus year Almost never see people catching fish on bogue banks But when I am at topsail seem they are always catching red and black drum around rogers bay camp ground hope that helps ,

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I know b man can find the fish. I have followed him for some time. How ever I am light on cash so. ICM How do you spot out the reds vs the mullet or other fish. I'm like a hawk when it comes to bait fish. But unless there are tails outside water. I can't spot them.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Stand on a cooler / platform, wear good polarized glasses with practice you can see them.
Clear water helps. ( works on Trout, too ).
Another way in shallow water is they hump up, leave mud trails.
Or watch for bait being busted.

Hope this helps. ........ ICM

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Fish are scattered and it is slower this time of year , should pick
up as it warms up.
most importantly, you are not in Louisiana any more. NC cant compare to that kind of fishing.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Maybe a popping cork with Gulp will make finding reds a little easier, but just could be they're scarce where you're fishing for them. I've had very good luck on plastic shrimp with the pre made hooks inside under my popping cork. Some scent added to those may also help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys had to catch those in swansboro/morehead area. Seems like it so much better up there

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rumor around that a couple of the large schools of reds, were netted over the winter. That might account for some of the slow down. We have not seen them on the surf side either

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would recommend some SPF 30 on your knees next time ;)

Good job on the reds
I carry 2 tubes of SPF 30 in the tackle bag and use it liberally and often. Didn't get burned except by the flounder.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You guys had to catch those in swansboro/morehead area. Seems like it so much better up there
Buzzard's Bay area on mud minnows and peanut pogies, low tide, #2 khale hook, 60lb mono leader 3/8 oz. slip sinker (c/rig)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts