NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is this species?!?

Tire Wheel Locking hubs Automotive tire Tread

So I fish in the 28681 Area Code in the "Little River" it consists of three parts; the Upper Little River, the Middle Little River, and the Lower Little River. I fish the Lower Little River and generally catch Largemouth, Bream and Catfish.

Today I caught this new fish, I have no idea what it is. I have researched and at first thought it was a White Bass.. it has no stripes. The only other conclusion I have come to is that it is a White Perch? Could that be? I know White Perch were released in the Piedmont area but I did not notice the spiny fin on top? I can't even see a spiny fin lying flat on the fish.

I'm hoping someone knows because I am dumbfounded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no idea a shiner could get that big? The grip on my fly rod is 7.5 inches long and it was a bit longer. I'm guessing it was about 8 inches long.. Is that an abnormal size?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
big ole shiner, great catfish bait!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah sorry for the "immediate answer" haha.. go figure i go freaking people out. No snakeheads here (thank God). Buddy of mine said (excuse my french) "That's a big *** minnow, man"

If Orvis doesn't have the info who does?! :D

I can see the tension between conventional fishermen and us fly guys :cool:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
no tension with the fly guys just some fun razzing... Anyone willing to hike 3 miles up a rocky stream to catch a 12" trout in some of the prettiest surroundings on earth cant be all bad!

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
OK I hate to get this started but Scott said it is a Gold Shiner, I would have said Sliver. We have 2 color variants on Hickory, and we always called them Gold or Silver shiners. Other than color they are identical, is it the same shiner but with a different hue due to its location and/or surroundings in the lake or are there 2 kinds. Either way the would hit bread balls and made great catfish, LMB, and Striper bait.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.