NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: is for sure.....Well, I've been in Greenville, NC for almost a month now. I have been fishing 12-15 times in the first month I've been here....EVERY person I meet out here I ask about fishing....quite frankly I'm getting bumbed out on the fishing scene here....It just seems to me that there aren't any GOOD places to catch fish around here...especially if you dont have a boat like myself....Can anyone help a brother out??? I was soooo stoked to come out here from san diego cause I always heard there was excellent fishing here....I guess it's not here in Greenville huh?? The places I have tried so far are obviously the tar from scene beach and also a little boat launch/dock off of the R33...still haven't caught ANYTHING from the tar...I've also tried river park north a couple times with SKUNKS all 3 times I've been there....I fished off the bridge in washington with 1 crappie and a crab whew hew!!! emerald isle/radio island which is a long drive from where I'm at....IS THERE ANYWHERE MORE LOCAL??? Thanks for any info.....I know its been really hot which can be devastating for the fishing....am I just being impatient?? Thanks again!!! Z

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Patience has alot to do with it. I know it gets frustrating hearing everyday on here where people are catching fish but notice most of them are people who live on/near the water, have boats, and spend alot of time on the water for their catch.:confused: Shoreline is limited, so with no boat there are few places to fish here. That is why I scratched up enough to buy an old boat. Waterfront is prime property:mad: and has been bought up.
It has been an unusually hot and dry summer so freshwater fish especially are suffering and everything is in "heatshock survival mode" Even with my boat, the Tar and upper Pamlico have been DEAD! They are catching a few Stripers in the evenings at the R/R bridge but I hesitate to fish for them in this heat because they die when released more often than not because of the heat and the fight....
Keep in mind the water temp at the Washington bridge has been 88-94 degrees since mid JUNE!! When it drops to 80 and below things will pick up IF we get some rain! Tar/Pamlico is a shallow river and fish won't stay if the water stays low, they go where they are safe from being stranded by low water..;)
Give the bridge another try, at night right at/after sunset or just before dawn. Fish mullet chunks (buy mullet from Washington Crab co in town or any good seafood place) and nightcrawlers on the bottom and on bobbbers set at about 4ft.
About every 3 minutes give your bottom lines a tug and reel in 1-2 turns.. If they suddenly feel heavy, it is a crab.. reel it in and reset it in a different spot. Check your baits every 20 min or so and put fresh mullet on if it is torn up or washed out looking.
Let me know when your going and I'll try to come meet you and we can talk about fishing in NC!
"Patience young grasshopper......... patience":rolleyes:

Have a good one!!!:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'm in greenville also and I have had the same luck as you. No boat either. always having to fish of a dock or the bank or some bridge. I have never caught anything in the river, well I have caught a lot of trees. So i'm in the same boat as you Z. Good luck. If i ever find a good spot i will let you know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA! Maybe we can go in on a boat! LOL Not having one really gets you here...I think I might invest in a kyak or something...the thing that gets me is for some reason I KNOW in greenville there HAS to be some bass ponds hidden away somewheres...I've seen a few small creeks off the sides of some roads....its like u gotta KNOW someone has a farm pond with FAT bass just lurking ready to hit a topwater.....uhhh I can't stand it I WANNA CATCH SOME FISH.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Zman,

It's teh dog days of summer around here. Things get super slow this time of year even in salt water. If you want bass, and good ones, go west towards Raleigh with some of the bigger lakes and such, and yes, you'll need to get off the bank as almost ALL water front is owned in this state.
Also, check out a little known place called Lake Phelps. You can find a place to sleep and enter the lake to fish at Conman's - Hunting Guide Service & Cottages Mike is a great person and offers reasonable rates for cabins or camp sites. he is a whitetail outfitter by trade so he fills up after October 1 with hunters. Some of the largest and most aggressive bass I've caught in NC came from this lake. It's fairly shallow and crystal clear. I think you;'ll find all the top water action you can handle there. There is also a state park there you can camp at called Pettigrew State park. It's NE of Washington by about an hour. It's worth the drive without a doubt.
Take heart and know that October is one of the best saltwater months in the year. Pretty much everything is in a feeding frenzy.

rye

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Better days are coming for sure! I have had a bad year this year also. I even went out to Core Banks for a few days in May and didn't do much. Course' the days I had schedule was right in the middle of one of the worst blows in late spring this year. I am not going to the coast anymore this year until Oct. if I even go then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.