NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just moved out here from Oklahoma and now that I'm settled in im in need of someone to go fishing with. I got a boat, and all the gear as well, but I am in need of a fishing buddie as in not too big in fishing alone, especially when I do not know a body of water too well. I perfer to bass fish, but I can target other fish as well. I tend to take my boat out in the summer at night and go for catfish sometimes as well.

I am currently gtg fishing almost any day of the week right now as I am in the process of enrolling in college. If someone is looking for a fishing pal with a boat, im your man. All I ask is that you pitch in for some gas money every now and then, after all my bass boat doesn't run on hopes and dreams!

I've already hit up sutton and the new river and I'm itching to get to the quarry and I am curious about the cape fear river which is up the 53 about 10 minutes or so from my house.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome aboard. J-ville use to be my old stomping grounds and I had a boat back in 2005. I live in Cary, NC now for school but I did a good bit of fishing in New River for flounder, redfish and trout. Southwest creek, behind the air station, has been know to hold some largemouth up there but I have only caught a couple. I mostly caught reds and big ol gator trout in February. Another place I put in is in Pollocksville which is about 30 minutes north of J-ville off of Hwy 17. There's a boat launch on the right and I've caught bass off this river, I think it's a branch of the Trent. https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...2!3m1!1s0x89a92712ffb34617:0x88e33e68a0dc1588

If you're ever up this way and want to fish Shearon Harris, let me know. I don't have a boat but I fish it with a good friend of mine and I fish it out of kayak. There's some biggins up here.

Doc

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good place to target bass is west of the USO boat launch, right around there it goes from brackish to fresh. New river goes all the way to richlands and you have blue creek/mill creek right past the 17 bridge. If be willing to go out fishing with you around there or other places in new river. I usually use my kayak especially around the upper new river and blue creek area. Lots of big bass and gar in there and I'm sure cats are there too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm aware of the presence of gators; I saw a couple the last time up the new river. I'm not into ******* one off either. I had a fishing buddie in Oklahoma that would try to snag snakes, and I wouldn't put it bass him to try to snag a gator. The 17 was where I turned around when I went looking around a bit. It just freaks me out going too fast when its only like 6 feet deep, but I seems not to be an issue as there were a few boats gunning it in there. I followed a boat back in and it took 3x as fast as when I creeped out that way. I'm still looking for someone to fish with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WOW! I can't believe I'm just reading this! I just moved here from Oklahoma as well! Found this thread seaching Sutton Catfish! Lol! I'm taking my Jon boat out on it tonight for my first time there. I can catch pretty much anything that swims in the Sooner state but here I'm having a bit of a learning curve! Back home, I fished Eufaula, Ten killer and Ft Gibson lakes and the Arkansas, Lower Illinois and Grand rivers the most! Would love to fish with you sometime, if you still looking for fishing buddies!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too have a bass boat and have wandered up the new river, about 20-30 minutes up where it gets real narrow and in the woods and branches off straight and right, we caught a few but then it went dead. Most of the bass I've caught are up the river off to the left just past the underwater cable.
What I found while fishing the northern part of the New River, just past the bridge it's 2-3 feet of water. There ARE stumps and branches that are submerged so just be careful. Once you pass the underwater cable, the channel is mostly to the right of center of the river and it is between 10 and 20+ feet deep but be careful, if you get out of the channel, it will get shallow REAL quick. Plus, be careful of the kayakers and paddleboarders out there. They may be around the next bend and swamping is possible.
I'm targeting the red drum at this point closer to the New River inlet area, no success so far. I'm planning to get out there this weekend with some new information I have been given by a friend of mine.

Good luck and let me know if you ever need or want to go fishing. I'm usually free (unless the wife tells me otherwise).

-Pez

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm aware of the presence of gators; I saw a couple the last time up the new river. I'm not into ******* one off either. I had a fishing buddie in Oklahoma that would try to snag snakes, and I wouldn't put it bass him to try to snag a gator. The 17 was where I turned around when I went looking around a bit. It just freaks me out going too fast when its only like 6 feet deep, but I seems not to be an issue as there were a few boats gunning it in there. I followed a boat back in and it took 3x as fast as when I creeped out that way. I'm still looking for someone to fish with.
What part of Oklahoma are you from? My dad and some other family live in the Shawnee/Oklahoma City area, I am over there a few times a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the tardy response. My computer died last year and I all but forgot about the forum until recently. I am not from oklahoma, but I lived in SE OKC right below Tinker afb for 3 years. I fished Thunderbird, eufalla, tenkiller, konawa many times, wes watkins, longmire, Lake elmer thomas on Ft. Sill, and okeama a few times and heffner from what I can recall from memory. I do have a couple of guys that I have found to go fishing with as of recent, but one lives in Fayetteville and we always seem to meet up at sutton. Sutton is a OK bass lake in my opinion, but the fact that the center is only 5 feet or so deep is a pain as I am afraid to cut across like I see most of the boats doing. It is also very busy on the weekends and getting on good spots can be a little difficult.

I live in Sneads ferry now and am thinking about targeting reds and trout, since I am only a few minutes from the public dock just south of the 172 bridge, but I am going to need to get some tackle and rod setups since I have no light tackle for saltwater.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good place to target bass is west of the USO boat launch, right around there it goes from brackish to fresh. New river goes all the way to richlands and you have blue creek/mill creek right past the 17 bridge. If be willing to go out fishing with you around there or other places in new river. I usually use my kayak especially around the upper new river and blue creek area. Lots of big bass and gar in there and I'm sure cats are there too.
When I have fished new river, I have done most of my damage up the blue creek. I had something big on but it wiggled off before I could get it into the boat. I have also had some luck in a little creek off the main river off to the right, just a ways before that big ol house on the left. Anything past where the houses are haven't given me much luck

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you still have your OK bass gear, you're ready to go for speckled trout, redfish, and just about anything that swims in inshore shallow salt and brackish water. Lures, rods, reels, line weights, and so on are the same, except for the need to rinse them carefully after each trip to prevent rust and corrosion. There's some good spray stuff you can use for added protection on the rods and reels, and I've been using that even before I started saltwater anyway. All water will cause rust; it's just a matter of time. Years ago, after moving south from the western freshwater fishing for trout and salmon, to MS and LA saltwater, I thought that I was going to have to upsize my gear, but not so. Same for NC. The bass and redfish don't know if your gear is certified for saltwater use, and will pull just as hard. Use what you've got, and when you eventually feel the need, buy the same size stuff, but designed for saltwater.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.