NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I have recently been contemplating getting a kayak. Up to now I always have fished on the bank since I don't have any way to be out on the water. But as I get more into this great activity I want more and more to be out on the water. However, being a college student, I don't want a kayak that's going to be top of the line. Ideally, I'd prefer something below $500 that only needs to last me 3 or 4 years that I can fish in. Even used would be ok with me, but here's where I need advice.

Firstly, after taking a glance at kayaks I know how expensive they can be. Are there any yaks that would fit what I'm looking to do for under $500, or is that unrealistic? Second, would you advise buying a used kayak if that was an option? What kind of things should I ask about in a used craft? Lastly, should I be looking at a specific couple of brands and what sort of accessories would be necessary?

Sorry for the lengthy blurb there but I'm a total freshman to all this stuff. Just thinking how nice it'd be to be out on these lakes I'm fishing and figured who better to ask than y'all!? I know we've got plenty of knowledgable yak anglers on here so hopefully you can give me some insight. Thanks so much for the help!

-Matt

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
You're going to receive a pile of answers here. I've recommended the yak I have a million times. Perception Pescador 12....love it. I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't do all of what I need it to do. Shop around for the best price....

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Good advice above. Dicks sells a kayak called a Field&Stream Talon12. Its a sit on top 12 footer that looks like a good bang for the buck. Several on here have and like them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You're going to receive a pile of answers here. I've recommended the yak I have a million times. Perception Pescador 12....love it. I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't do all of what I need it to do. Shop around for the best price....

If Academy has this for less than 500 dollars, then I agree.....this is the best deal out there for a 12 footer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas. Watched Craigslist for a few weeks and ended up getting a used 9.5 ft Perception yak for $250. Looking forward to getting out on the water now that I'm not landlocked!! Would love to get out and fish with y'all yakkers. Shoot me a message!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Perception Swifty, 9.5 footer. It was relabeled with LL Bean logo, Manatee. I have had it for about 8 years. It was my only boat for a while until I bought a motorized boat. I still use the kayak from time to time, especially when camping with the 5th wheel. Just put the kayak in the camper and go. It is a very stable boat. My daughter and I played in the surf one time. It is not an ocean going kayak, but it will handle the wake from boat OK as long as you turn the bow into the wave. Mount a rod holder in the front and strap a crate on the back with a 3 rod holder. Since I use the Plano boxes the crate worked great. Enjoy!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts