NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

In my limited times being able to go fishing in the last 2 months I've have been skunked. It seems everytime I want to go fishing a cold front comes in (like it appears to be doing this weekend) or I've already arranged to do something else when It turns warm. What can I do to catch something?? I'm shore locked for the time or I might be able to take out the kayak depending on how much time I have. I don't care what I catch, I just want to catch something. The waters I have been fishing are the cape fear river near fayetteville and the south river near autrey ville. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey Coach, only a second to think about it but here's a couple quick suggestions:
1) find a pond - park, neighborhood, golf course, whatever. Temps are perfect, water warms in the afternoon sun and makes the fish active. I think they know that they need to eat now, because everything is going to slow down soon.
2) try a lipless rattling crankbait (trap/vibe), especially in this great weather

(I put these two together for 30 mins today with pretty good results - will post a report later)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Bottom fish with live/ or fresh bait like worms/minnows or scent baits like catfish dough. Watch the currents in the river, fish the edges of the currents or behind ( downstream) anything that interrupts the flow. If you know there is a deep drop or channel cast into it.
If you must use lures fish slow and deep. Smaller baits that are noisy like Ratl traps etc. Plastics like crayfish/worms once again slowwwly drag the bottom with an occasional hop/jig..

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would that include bottom fishing by a bridge drop? That's what I did the last time out and I got nothing for my trouble.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Would that include bottom fishing by a bridge drop? That's what I did the last time out and I got nothing for my trouble.

Yes, but the trick with cold water is working an area thoroughly. You can be only a few feet from the fish and they wont bite. It can be frustrating and take alot of hunting to find the fish that are willing to cooperate. Places like bridges will hold fish sometimes and others they will not. Also remember to fish downstream current from structure not upstream. Fish use the structure to protect them from current and grab what's passing by or laying handy nearby.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice drop. I'm thinking about going out this weekend and of course....it's getting cold this weekend. Story of my end of year fishing. Did get an hour in last night which was nice. Until it got so dark we couldn't see what was around us. Then we hot tailed it out. I know we looked weird with our khaki pants and dress shoes on as we both forgot a change of clothes for the outing.:eek::D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Don't worry Coach. Fish dont care how you're dressed !!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need help in knowing when to start the reel back in. I'm using circle hooks so I know I don't need to set the hook but.... I'm having trouble knowing when to bring em in. I had 4 really good hits saturday and missed the fish all 4 times. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The key in using a circle hook is to keep the line taunt. If you do that and the fish takes the bait, the hook will get set. Let the line go slack and the hook falls out of the mouth instead of getting set. If slack gets in the line, take it up slowly, that way if there is a fish on the line you won't pull it out before it has a chance to set. A lot of times when you do that the fish will feel the slight pressure and turn to run, thus setting the hook. I say that in view of the fact there are variations depending on what you are targeting and what type bait you are using.

Sometimes "hits" are small fish that can't take the hook in their mouth, thus you may feel you missed a hook set when really you didn't - you wouldn't have got him with a J hook either.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...so with the wind the other day it was playing heck with my line being tight.

Anyone seen this before?? I was fishing with cut bait. Didn't recheck my bait after binging it in and recasting it out. As I flung it out I saw the cut bait flying in the opposite direction of where the line went. So i just simply ripped it back in mad as heck that I had thrown off my bait. When I got it back in....there was a large minnow (possibly a shiner although I've never used em before therefore not really knowing what they look like) on the hook. Had been hooked right in the middle of his body. I have a witness to this happening (and it was to early in the day for alchoholic beverages if I did drink).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Coach go deep with live bait. Minnows, etc. Sometimes when you bite (strip off) a small portion out of the tail it, but not removing the tail completely, it will simulate a more struggling bait and this many times will attrach a predator more quickly. Just some COLD water fishing tips I have learned over the years.
Here is the best tip though "DON'T swallow the tail portion however!"
Good fishing!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
aww... a lil' tail never hurt anybody!!:D:rolleyes:

Reactions: Coach D
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.