NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I decided to take up the new art of fly fishing inshore. From what ive gathered so far, i believe its the most confusing type of fishing ive encountered. if anyone can answer any or all of my questions below or give me any input or tips it would be greatly appreciated

RODS
*looking for an all around inshore rod. mainly targeting redfish. ive been looking at the TFO project healing rods, budget being around 200 for a rod. my rod questions are as follows.
-rod height?? (kayak fly fisher)
-number of pieces?
-7 or 8wt?
-any recommendations for a rod?

REELS
-do i match my reel wt with the rod?
-any recommendations for a reel?
-any important facts/tips i need to know for reels?
-100$ budget for a reel, may go over 50$

LINE
-do i match the line wt with the reel and rod wt?
-any line reccomendations?
-what is fly reel backing? normal mono or braid?
-what kind of leader? normal 15lb fluro?

FLIES
-where do i get flies from (both online and instore)
-are the flies used inshore weighted or just the weight of the hook and what its made out of?

CASTING
-anyone know a good/primary casting technique i should use from a kayak?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I can give you my opinion on most of your questions.
Rods - 9', I prefer 4 pc bcuz theyre easy to transport and dont have the "dead spot" issue of the older rods. 7 or 8 wt will do, 7 wt is also a good wt for freshwater bass. TFO make nice rods, make sure it is rated for salt, guides and reel seat will be the big difference.
Reels - Match the reel wt to the rod wt , you can go a wt or two heavier. Reels are also rated for salt. Like the rods saltwater rating is not absolutely necessary but you will have to be extra conscious about a good cleaning after every trip to the salt. If you're gonna go over budget anywhere, do it on the reel.
Line - Same wt rating as the rod, can go one heavier. Rio make excellent fly lines. Use actual flyline backing, 20# should be good, it also comes in 30#. The heavier the backing the less fits on your reel. Usually 100 to 200 yds. This is where an oversized reel is beneficial.
That's a good starting point, I'm sure you will get other good advice on the things I didn't (and did) cover.

Scott

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I can give you my opinion on most of your questions.
Rods - 9', I prefer 4 pc bcuz theyre easy to transport and dont have the "dead spot" issue of the older rods. 7 or 8 wt will do, 7 wt is also a good wt for freshwater bass. TFO make nice rods, make sure it is rated for salt, guides and reel seat will be the big difference.
Reels - Match the reel wt to the rod wt , you can go a wt or two heavier. Reels are also rated for salt. Like the rods saltwater rating is not absolutely necessary but you will have to be extra conscious about a good cleaning after every trip to the salt. If you're gonna go over budget anywhere, do it on the reel.
Line - Same wt rating as the rod, can go one heavier. Rio make excellent fly lines. Use actual flyline backing, 20# should be good, it also comes in 30#. The heavier the backing the less fits on your reel. Usually 100 to 200 yds. This is where an oversized reel is beneficial.
That's a good starting point, I'm sure you will get other good advice on the things I didn't (and did) cover.

Scott
thanks for the help! any good reel companies out there? and what about leader, normal fluro use on spinning/casting setups?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found my future fly setup with line and all. now im trying to figure out what size flies to get and where is there a website with a good selection I can buy from?? looking into clouser deep minnows, mullet pattern, crab and shrimp pattern, and a popper. anyone know what size and where I can get these?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Sounds like you have most questions answered and have made a decision on rod, reel etc. I'd try to buy flies from someone in the area where you may be fishing (which may be tough) or find out a little bit more about the size of the bait etc. when you will be going. I'd say most of the time in NC you'd be using flies 1.5-2.5 inches long...with some occasionally longer. Clouser minnows with lighter dumbell eyes for easier casting, in a variety of color combos work most times; along with saltwater "wooly buggers" in brown and tan; and maybe a couple of crab patterns will get you started.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you have most questions answered and have made a decision on rod, reel etc. I'd try to buy flies from someone in the area where you may be fishing (which may be tough) or find out a little bit more about the size of the bait etc. when you will be going. I'd say most of the time in NC you'd be using flies 1.5-2.5 inches long...with some occasionally longer. Clouser minnows with lighter dumbell eyes for easier casting, in a variety of color combos work most times; along with saltwater "wooly buggers" in brown and tan; and maybe a couple of crab patterns will get you started.
yeah I plan on taking a guide out to learn alittle something. I may get my setup before I go out so I can spend some time with it. I don't know what kind of line to get now that I learned that theres tropical and cold water lines. NC gets cold and hot so should I get both and alternate?
fly fishing knowledge never stops.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I think you will be fine with a "cold water" line. I wouldn't consider a tropical line for NC...even though some tropical lines seem to work just fine year round. Some companies will make a line designated at "all conditions. " Most folks I know rarely consider a tropic line unless they are going to the Keys or further south in the summer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'll second TFO rods. Good price point, great casting, best warranty around should you break it on a big fish (or slam it in a car door).

You asked about reel companies. I would highly recommend looking in to Allen Fly Fishing. They have some great reels at very reasonable prices (and I do mean reasonable, not bottom dollar). Their customer service is fantastic. I have 3 of their reels and am extremely pleased with their performance. I think their Kraken reel is 20% off right now, which is a really good deal.

As far as lines go, I'd spend my money on getting lines for different parts of the water column before I'd worry about cold vs hot. A floating, intermediate, and T5 sinking should cover your bases pretty well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Look at Allen fly reels, Lamson Konic 2 is a good budget reel on clearance right now too. If you use "TLTFF" discount code on Allen's website it will knock 20% off.

Rods I use anything from a 5wt to a 9wt. If you are targeting larger reds def. use a 7/8. Some people use a line wt up in salt to help punch larger flies thru a head wind but thats not necessary once you are better at casting.

Flies, use clousers, shrimp, and crab immitations. I tie my own.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I forgot to add.....get used to casting standing up first, in your back yard or something, with a practice fly line. This is to get used to the casting mechanics and feel of your rod. It will be much less frustrating vs starting out in your kayak sitting down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.