NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (May 10) - When a boat is "ship-shape" it is ready to be underway.

Boat operators need to be ship-shape as well. The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission recommends that recreational vessel operators prepare for safe and enjoyable times on the water through a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators accredited boating course.

"The best way to learn or refresh basic boating skills is through a course led by a qualified instructor," said Capt. Chris Huebner, boating safety coordinator for Wildlife Resources Commission. "Whether it's sailing, personal watercraft, motorboats or a pontoon, taking a boating safety course will sharpen your knowledge and skills."

The Wildlife Resources Commission administers free boating education courses across the state. This basic boating course is a 6- to 8-hour course that includes information about boat operation, legal requirements, handling emergencies and other information. This course is required for 14-16 year olds to operate a personal watercraft in North Carolina. To check availability, go to www.ncwildlife.org or call (919) 707-0031.

Other agencies also offer National Association of State Boating Law Administrators approved safe boating courses:
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary boating safety courses, call 1-800-336-BOAT.
U.S. Power Squadron public boating classes, call 1-888-FOR-USPS.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
this is a good thing and to keep fresh, I take a boater safety course annually just to do it. Also, Boat US has a free course and provides a mailed or online certificate you can print out to show proof of course completion, and not a bad way to get 10% off your insurance if you send them a copy (Depending on Ins. Co.)

I definately think all them PWC riders need a mandatory course.... alot (not all) are pretty inexperienced and "young"... water scooter can kill you pretty quick.

Always watch out for the other guy as well.... you'll think they're gonna stay straight or think they'll maintain course then turn right into ya... I've seen that alot on the lakes.. alot of folks dont pay attention to nav rules as well especially when running at low light or night... all they know is the bulbs work on them red and green lights up front... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just got done doing the US Power squadron course and it really was helpful. I grew up on boats and working in marinas, bheen through the Coast Guard Aux courses and still learned some new stuff and remembered some old stuff. Started the course just for the insurance but changed my mind pretty quickly about how much I already knew. Next step is to get the wife to do it so when I fall over the side she knows what to do.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Next step is to get the wife to do it so when I fall over the side she knows what to do.
Very good point, that's why I show my boy how to use the radio and what to do incase dadda drops on the deck or out the back/side/front.. if somethin happend to me out with him alone, I could only imagine the panic going thru his mind... cant never be too prepared! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.