NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(If you don’t want to read all this I’ve got my questions at the bottom)

I'm 16 years old and live outside of Raleigh by Jordan and Harris Lake. I grew up in West Virginia and I'm real familiar with casually fishing for bluegill, bass, trout, etc. I've lived here for a few years and spent plenty of time and Jordan and Harris Lake, but I've never had much luck on the numerous times I've gone out. Of course, I'm sure I'm missing out on the good fishing as I am just bank fishing (although I may invest in kayak), but it seems so odd that for how many times I've gone out/spots I've tried that I haven't caught anything. The only exceptions to that were when I recently fished Jordan off of 751 and caught a small crappie and a couple little perch, but I haven't had the same 'luck' trying that same spot and other parts of Jordan again. I have however fished the Haw south of 64, where it kinda splits up into multiple smaller streams, like the size of what I am familiar with in WV. I went last weekend with my friends and caught a ton of little bullhead catfish, but the water’s so polluted with PFAS and other chemicals, I didn’t keep any of them. Since I won’t be keeping any of these fish I’d like to catch some larger fish for sport. Anyone know what all’s in the Haw/any decent bank fishing spots?

Also, I was considering trying to fish the spillway from Harris since that’s the cleaner lake around here and I could keep some of the stuff I catch (Bass, catfish, maybe grinnell??). Is that spot there/Buckhorn Creek any good?

Also, also, I heard ticks and chiggers (along with copperheads) get bad around here into summer. If that’s true I’ll just go fishing in the mountains or any recommended places where it’s gonna be less buggy and not 90 degrees.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

I'm 16 years old and live outside of Raleigh by Jordan and Harris Lake. I grew up in West Virginia and I'm real familiar with casually fishing for bluegill, bass, trout, etc. I've lived here for a few years and spent plenty of time and Jordan and Harris Lake, but I've never had much luck on the numerous times I've gone out. Of course, I'm sure I'm missing out on the good fishing as I am just bank fishing (although I may invest in kayak), but it seems so odd that for how many times I've gone out/spots I've tried that I haven't caught anything. The only exceptions to that were when I recently fished Jordan off of 751 and caught a small crappie and a couple little perch, but I haven't had the same 'luck' trying that same spot and other parts of Jordan again. I have however fished the Haw south of 64, where it kinda splits up into multiple smaller streams, like the size of what I am familiar with in WV. I went last weekend with my friends and caught a ton of little bullhead catfish, but the water’s so polluted with PFAS and other chemicals, I didn’t keep any of them. Since I won’t be keeping any of these fish I’d like to catch some larger fish for sport. Anyone know what all’s in the Haw/any decent bank fishing spots?

Also, I was considering trying to fish the spillway from Harris since that’s the cleaner lake around here and I could keep some of the stuff I catch (Bass, catfish, maybe grinnell??). Is that spot there/Buckhorn Creek any good?

Also, also, I heard ticks and chiggers (along with copperheads) get bad around here into summer. If that’s true I’ll just go fishing in the mountains or any recommended places where it’s gonna be less buggy and not 90 degrees.

Thank you!
In summer ticks,chiggers and snakes are something ya have to deal with along with mosquitoes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly that’s about what I expected. Im hoping bug spray should ward off the ticks and mosquitos. Normally I like fishing bare foot but since I don’t want chiggers but I especially want to avoid the snakes so I’ll refrain from it. Sounds like I should get a kayak sooner than later haha

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Sadly that’s about what I expected. Im hoping bug spray should ward off the ticks and mosquitos. Normally I like fishing bare foot but since I don’t want chiggers but I especially want to avoid the snakes so I’ll refrain from it. Sounds like I should get a kayak sooner than later haha
Fishing barefoot in NC is a big no no unless maybe you are on a nice sandy beach.

Reactions: Cam

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
I don't have any direct knowledge of your area for bank fishing, but I will 100% agree with that last statement... you will get a LOT of 'mileage' out of anything that gets you off the bank and on the water. Kayak fishing is a growing phenomenon for a reason; even I have one now, and my family has more watercraft than vehicles at this point.

Reactions: histor_ian

·
Registered
297 Posts

Thank you!
The best chigger treatment I know (after fishing and living everywhere in the South plus Minnesota) is called Chiggerid. Its a liquid in a small bottle with an applicator. Its not a repellent, but if/when you get the nasty little guys buried in your skin, it will stop the itch and will kill the bug. I get mine from Amazon; otherwise it's hard to find in local stores. For ticks, remove them with a fine-toothed comb. Don't crush them, as some of them carry diseases that are not pretty. For those that are buried up to the head, I use a curved fine-point set of tweezers and carefully grab them as close to the skin as I can and gently lift them out, then I dab a bit of 3-way antibiotic on the wound. Good luck on your quest...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Mountains may be cooler but they still have those critters you mentioned, along with Canebreak Rattlesnakes (Timber Rattlers).

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Chigarid:
INGREDIENTS:
Camphor 2.6%
Phenol 1.5%
Menthol 0.1%
Also Contains: Collodion and Oil of Eucalyptus

That sounds perfect. I'ma have to look for some of that. The collodion creates the seal from the air, which is key for smoking them out or killing them, and the other ingredients would be good for soothing. Throw in a little lavender essential oil and it would be perfect. Thanks for that suggestion, going to have to get some of that.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'd invest in a pair of wading boots. They will save you from foot injury and allow you to stay in the water. Can't get chiggers and ticks in the water. You should give the Eno river a try. There are parks along it with good walking trails with river access. I have been there a couple times and caught fish. Nothing giant but it is a small stream (at least where I fished).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts