NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into get a cheaper kayak for fishing in the intercoastal around topsail. Does anyone have any experience in how well these work or any problems concerning them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I would have to say that you could NOT make a worse decision.

The low end inflatable kayaks are junk. This includes Intek, Coleman, and the bottom end Sea Eagle, as well as any store brands... They are not durable at all... They will get you into a place that they may not be able to get you out of.... Worst possible scenario.

My knowledge comes from buying and selling a few dozen of these kayaks and rafts from a store return auction. I see popped seams, tears, etc.

Throw in boat wakes, oyster shells, and other issues for the intercoastal.... You're literally taking your life into your hands.

I'm not picking on inflatable kayaks in general.... Some very nice and sturdy ones are made. But you specified "cheap" and the good quality ones will cost the same or more than conventional kayaks. The low quality cheaper ones are not worth owning, particularly in the environment you describe.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I came really close to buying the Farm in one...Don't play with water...Things can go bad very quickly.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
hate to keep piling on, but I had a decent one that had an air bladder inside and a really tough exterior. Not as much concern about popping, but hard to fight any wind or current. Used it once in the sound. No disaster, just dead tired after slogging around.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was almost swamped several times in a 20 foot Hewes fishing the waterway. Some of those rich guys on the big yachts don't care and at speed in confinded space, throw a wake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for to convince my wife she loves me enough to get a nicer one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just buy an older used Kayak and grow from there. I would do a basic el cheapo sit on top or an old sit in yak or canoe before I even thought of messing with any kind of cheap inflatable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an inflatable. It's fine on a lake. Would NOT take it
on intercoastal because of oyster shells, barnacles, etc.

Sometimes you just don't have room to store a rigid kayak.
You then go inflatable and respect the limitations it has.

All the Best,
D. White

1 - 11 of 11 Posts